Re:Seminary Day

  • Dr. George Varghese,UK
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2006
      Dear Brothers and Sisters,

      I happened to read a posting by ICON moderators regarding the Seminaries in India. It is impressive to see the appreciation of Seminaries, of the valuable contributions that they offer to society. However, it did sadden me that the moderators did not mention about the Seminaries or Seminary students in the US. We Indian Orthodox Christians have such a narrow vision about church. That is why even after 2000 years we have not been able to promote our church. I am sure there are so many clergy and laity on this forum who thinks only a Kottayam Seminary graduate is best suited for the IOC.

      There are students who study in Orthodox seminaries in the US and how many of us support their studies and needs? We all think that being born to parents in the US, they do not have financial needs. I think that the Seminary day collections within the US and UK diocese should be used to support the students within these diocese. We are reluctant to give to seminaries and even more, to seminarians. It is my humble request to all fellow brothers and sisters of the IOC to openly support your seminarians. My request to the brethren in the US, please provide for your students. You should be happy that there are around 15 young men born and raised in the US studying in seminaries. We wanted them, they left everything to pursue their theological studies, now it is our duty to support and encourage them.

      May God bless our seminaries and our seminarians

      Dr. George Varghese,
      St. Gregorios Orthodox Church, UK

      From the Desk of the Moderators:
      We thank Dr. George Varghese for his valuable comments. Kindly refer to the Moderators's note with Aju Shemmassen's posting on the same topic.