Re: Antiochian Patriarchs

  • Suraj Iype, Assam
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2006
      Dear Dr Philips,

      It has become quite a series of posts, and I think I would just
      like to say a little bit more.

      You are right, hardly anybody seems to practise the " One
      Indivisible Church " part. Perhaps it is limited to theology
      textbooks and some greats of Theology , hardly anybody else pays any
      attention.
      Why is that?. Perhaps because the Church lives in the world, and
      is made of sinful men, who like most of us suffer from envy and
      lusts for power and money.

      May be because of this, the Church is often spoken of in two terms,
      the Church Militant( The Church in this world, that struggles with
      the fallacies of men) and the Church Triumphant(The Church that is
      ever victorious, against whom the Gates of Hell will not prevail).

      Seeing the ceaseless quarrels and divisions among those who proclaim
      the same faith, perhaps one may be tempted to think of the Church
      always in the above mentioned terms and draw some sort of permanent
      division. Yet we are warned not to do so always, after all Our
      faith, Our Orthodoxy is mystical. Our Qurbana is deeply mystical.
      Through human eyes one will see plenty of incense,glorious
      vestements and perhaps feel an aching leg. Yet through mystical
      eyes, one may be Graced to see an angel..

      Christ in the Gospels, prays that All May be One. This is for us a
      Great Commission. Each of our actions have to be measured against
      the words of our Lord. After all as the psamist say " How glorious
      it is to see, brothers living in harmony".

      I confess, I somehow cannot reconcile myself to talk of a clean
      break. In diaspora churches, established by each community one can
      get through life without ever hearing of the other faction. Yet in
      Kerala, families and churches are divided or closed. The partition
      of India and Pakistan was supposed to be clean and surgical. 60
      years on, the hatred and animosity is to be seen to be believed.

      Also we have to be clear whether on what the example of the Church
      through the ages is, what do the Canons say, what have the Holy
      Fathers said. Similar situations have been encountered in all
      patriarchates before.

      All this should be lamps unto our feet. The Church went through
      difficult times always, yet it has always come through . I am sure
      we in Malankara too will be able to get through these difficult
      times.

      Yours,
      C. Suraj Iype
      Assam.