Confession through letters or mails

  • Cherian, Al-khobar, Saudi Arabia
    Message 1 of 49 , May 4, 2006
      Dear Moderators,
      I cannot think that our Church authorities agree with this. Now confession through mail, later Holy Qurbana through CD, Holy communion through DHL. Is it authentic. Think our church promotes confession by priest and in person only.We are following the footsteps of our old bishops who taught us the right way.
      Rgds/Cherian
      STOC/KSA
    • padanayakan
      Message 49 of 49 , May 4, 2006
        --- In IndianOrthodox@yahoogroups.com, Rev Fr John Brian wrote:

        > confession - yes! (verbal mostly)
        > absolution - no... (requires the hand of a priest or bishop)
        >

        > John-Brian Achen
        > maruroopa palli
        >
        > _____
        >
        > Can confession be done through letter or email?
        >
        > Abraham Koshy

        The answer of Achen is not clear.

        I believe the confession is a the process that an individual
        disclosing/saying his sins with repentance (blessings received also)
        to the clergy, who listens the confession and giving advises, remadies
        and punishments(Pizha) (if necessary) then forgiveness for the sins
        that he/she confessed and forgot to confess also. Then the priest is
        praying the prayer of forgiveness with the "Rooshma" . So is it
        possible through E-mail and letter? does our Church allow to confess
        through e-mail and letter? can the priest send back All that he is
        doing in the confession by e-mail/ letter?

        Charly V. Padanilam, Houston, TX.