Re: Dr. KM George, Media coverage

  • E.S.John, Australia
    Message 1 of 97 , Feb 2, 2006
      Dear Dr.K.M George,
      ICON.1799, 1, Media coverage,
      Believe that many of our members may be happy because Kairali is telecasting a documentary on our Bava thirumeni today.
      What is within is more important than what is outside. Do enough home work first to kindle our own aura that definitely shed light to various directions, instead of trying to buy superficial name that last only like the bubble. The role played by Malayala Manorama while we were mere peasants was very significant and vital, but not any more as everything is commercialized and made transparent by the cheap media that looks for coverage and business only. The commercialization of spirituality within our church has more far-fetched consequences than all other venues of other churches and religions because we are not a disciplined mob comparatively as others apparently are. They tend to listen and obey their hierarchy, owing to the fact that they are not a feudal system any more, where as we owe allegiance and cultivate hero worship, a part of the Indian Guru Kula traditions. All other churches are of Western origin that works under the ironclad structure of legality and superficial discipline. We are a copycat of Kerala politics that doesn’t run by any apparent accountability and check and balance. Look at any of our institutions and organizations that become somebody’s property eventually for stamping their ego and cheap name. The foreign rulers or prelates can put more pressure to their alien vassals, whereas our own prelates can’t inculcate so much fear on our own people as the head is a part of our own body. Whatever are the reasons, our system is seemingly weaker than the foreign- controlled militant system of colonialism.
      Every TV channel runs on advertisements of pornography and other mafia types of monstrosities. Our own channel, if started, may be able to portray some of the achievements of our church, but certainly will be influenced by the flamboyant showcase spirituality of certain clergy of cheap popularity and the idiosyncrasies of some business tycoons or clowns who thirst for glory. What we need is spiritual tonic for the propagation and continuation of Orthodox faith. The Holy sacraments, particularly the H.Qurbana is meant for the holy ones who participate and receive the H. mysteries that cannot be strictly telecast or transmitted in the media. Believers, behold, what is happening now, especially the selling of the H.Qurbana tapes, videos and thundering it through the microphone system as if the whole locality were magnetized by the power of the H.Spirit. While the choir runs the sacrament of matrimony, the celebrant and other clergy are mere onlookers. The microphone system and media flashes and video cameras are the lingua franca of our spiritual exercises. Our own TV coverage will definitely make us to jump from the frying pan in to the fire of our Orthodox discipline. Look inside than looking outside, particularly in the field of religious and spiritual exercises.
      E.S.John, Australia
    • Sunil Mathews
      Message 97 of 97 , Feb 12, 2006
        I am very interested in attending a Good Friday service in English.
        Is there any church in the U.S. (North or Mid-West) that is planning
        such a service? Kindly let me know.

        Regards,
        -Sunil Mathews
        Detroit