spell check

  • Abraham Chirackal
    Message 1 of 97 , Jan 27, 2006
      Dear Koshy,

      Both 'Morth' and 'Marth' are words in the same Syriac
      language. The later is East Syriac usage. "Martha Mariyam" is a
      correct usage. In Malankara traditionally we use many East Syriac
      words. 'Mar' is also East Syriac. Another common East Syriac word is
      "Mamodisa". Both Syro-Malabar Church (which uses East Syriac in
      liturgy) and Orthodox (using West Syriac in liturgy) in day to day
      life uses East Syriac words. Perhaps this ia a proof for our common
      heritage before Kunen Kurishu.

      What I read is that the West Syriac usage originated out of Greek
      influence and was generally considered a more sophisticated form. But
      since this is not our mother tongue, we are comfortable with East
      Syriac words even though West Syriac is considered more
      sophisticated.
      Most people who learn Syriac knows both Eastern and Western usages.

      Even in names we do not follow language rules. Correct usages are
      (Marth
      Thoma/Mor Thuma), (Mar Yohannan/Mor Yuhanon) ...

      "Moran Mar" is wrong. It should be either "Moran Mor" or "Maran Mar".

      Please forgive any spelling mistakes here.

      -Thomas
    • Sunil Mathews
      Message 97 of 97 , Feb 12, 2006
        I am very interested in attending a Good Friday service in English.
        Is there any church in the U.S. (North or Mid-West) that is planning
        such a service? Kindly let me know.

        Regards,
        -Sunil Mathews
        Detroit