What Apostles said about the Church?

  • Thomas P, Dallas
    Message 1 of 1114 , Jun 28, 2005
      1 Peter 2:7
      Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do
      not believe, "The stone the builders rejected has become the

      1 Corinthians 1:10
      [Divisions in the Church]
      I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that
      all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions
      among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought.

      1 Corinthians 11:18
      In the first place, I hear that when you come together as a church,
      there are divisions among you, and to some extent I believe it.

      1 Timothy 5:17
      The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of
      double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching.

      Ephesians 4: 12-14
      ... so that the body of Christ may be built up 13until we all reach
      unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become
      mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.
      14Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the
      waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the
      cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming.

      Colossians 3:14
      And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together
      in perfect unity.

      1 Corinthians 13:13
      And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of
      these is love.

      Following from the Gospel of Thomas (translation from Coptic)

      "Verse 12: The disciples said to Jesus, "We know that You will depart
      from us. Who is to be our leader?"
      Jesus said to them, "Wherever you are, you are to go to James the
      righteous, for whose sake heaven and earth came into being."

      Apostle St. James
      - In Acts 15, the Apostles at Antioch went to St. James in Jerusalem
      for resolution of circumcision issue - whether non-jews should be
      - St. James is the first Archbishop of Jerusalem mother Church.
      - Author of our Qurbana (Liturgy)
      - Head of the first Synod of the Church in Jerusalem where all
      Apostles assembled (Acts 15)
      - After Pentecost, Theotokos remained in Jerusalem, strengthening the
      infant Church. She departed in Jerusalem and all Apostles came back to
      Jerusalem. Apostle Thomas was miraculosuly brought to Jerusalem on the
      clouds from India where he was establishing the Church.
    • Thomas P
      Message 1114 of 1114 , Oct 18, 2005
        Reading a misleading article made me write this. Every Orthodox Church
        has a constitution. Consitution is for the functioning of the Church
        in the world.

        Recently a member of the Malankara Church was challenging the
        consitution of the Malankara Church. Let me ask him one question? SOC
        also has a consitution. How the constitution of SOC originated? Was
        the Malankara Church involved in drafting it? SOC made several
        revisions to the constituion not involving Malankara Synod.

        Following is from an article about SOC consitution: "Every institution
        has a constitution rules and regulations of its own. They are
        considered to be binding. Every constitution and every law has three
        basic elements: firstly the party establishing the constitution,
        secondly, the party declaring it; thirdly, the party abiding by it"
        "Both the board of clergy and the board of trustees have the power to
        set up by-laws that do not conflict with the constitution of the
        Church its general law and judgments, nor with the decisions of the
        Holy Synods or the laws or the country where the diocese is
        established." {Source: Syrian Orthodox Church, Canada Diocese}

        So, SOC agrees that every institution has a constitution of its own.

        It was in 1933 that SOC officially adopted a consitution. Evidence is
        here: "the Synod of Homs which was held in February 1933 and set out a
        complete constitution for the church clarifying the jurisdiction ..."
        (The Concept of Jurisdiction and Authority in the Syrian Orthodox
        Church on Antioch Article by His Grace Mor Gregorios Johanna Ibrahim
        Metropolitan of Aleppo)

        "The articles of the Synod of Homs in the year 1933 became the basis
        for what is known today as the Church Constitution. In spite of this
        brief time many amendments have been made to this constitution by
        several synods which were held after that date. The last one was the
        Synod of Damascus in 1991 ..." (Ibid)

        So, they have amended the constitution drafted in 1933.

        Too much pride is not good for any one. Christianity requires
        accepting the realities and accepting each other. Other than rejecting
        it for pride reasons, what is there in the consitution of 1934 that is
        unacceptable to an Orthodox believer? It allows honoring the Patriarch
        of SOC (not in an exaggerated way, but in a practical way).
        It is only for ego that people fight and cause divisions. What is
        there so special in the new Jacobite constitution of 2000? Why is it
        not made public in the web?