Catholicos & Major Archbishop

  • H.G Job Mar Philoxenos, New Delhi
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2005
      Dear Moderators

      Yesterday, I had an occasion to meet Archbishop Pedro Lopez
      Quintana, the Apostolic Nuncio at the Vatican Embassy, New Delhi.
      Among the many issues discussed, one that occupied our attention
      most was the installation of Cyril Mar Baselios as Major
      Archbishop as the Catholicos. The Pro Nuncio told me that the Holy
      See is well aware of the confusion created by the Malankara
      Catholic Church. He showed me the Cannon Law 303 which tells that
      the rank of Major Archbishop is equal to that of Catholicos. But
      he was not very specific how a Major Archbishop can use both the
      titles Catholicos and Major Archbishop at a time. To cite an
      example, the rank of the Chief Election Commissioner is equal to
      that of a Cabinet Minister. But, he is not in the habit of using
      both the titles. I asked him what would happen if I add the title
      Patriarch to my name. He was very specific to say that the people
      will laugh at me. I told him this is what exactly happens in the
      case of a mere Archbishop adding the title Catholicos to his own
      name! I told the Pro Nuncio that Cyril Mar Baselios, long before
      he becomes a Major Archbishop is being addressed and projected as
      Moran Mar Cyril Baselios Catholicos. For the sake of argument,
      even if we agree that the rank of Major Archbishop is equal to
      that of the Catholicos, how is it possible for him to assume the
      position of Catholicos long before he becomes a Major Archbishop?
      The title Catholicos is addable only after he becomes the Major
      Archbishop. The Pro Nuncio was very affable and heard patiently
      what I had said and agreed that we would have several meetings of
      this sort in future. I left the Embassy, with the impression that
      I could convey something that we could not do so far on an issue
      that has given us undue concern and agony and bring in to focus
      the illogical stand of the Malankara Catholic Church who never had
      any logic in any of their activities at any period in the entire
      history of its existence.

      Mar Philoxenos