35407RE: Onam Celebrations in Church

  • prakash_varghese
    Oct 23, 2013

      Dear bro be blessed in Christ

      I would like to bring forward some pagan concepts celebrated in Orthodox Church my question is do we need to celebrate it or not?

      1        Onam Celebration

      2         Vidyarambham ( വിദ്യാരംഭം) (Why on the auspicious day tenth and final day of the Navratri celebrations)

      3        Holy Bible Reading on the Ramayana Month (Karkitakam) why on this specific month

      4        Thulabharam (I do not have proof I heard it has been done in Orthodox Church in Kerala)

      I fully support your view and strongly advice we should not support any kind of pagan worship in the church for sake of religious harmony. This would send a wrong signal to our younger generation and lead to pagan practice.

      We have been raising this voice in the church against Onam/ Vidyarambham celebration and been targeted as fundamentalist by the church committee members and priest , I would not say all but some priest are against this and are force to give approval to celebrate by the pressure of the committee members .

      My question what backing  does the church give on these topic being silent means approving all form of pagan worship. When Holy Bible clearly mention not to practice any kind of pagan concept.

      Deuteronomy 18:9-14

      9 “When you come into the land which the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominations of those nations.

      10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer,

      11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead.

      12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord, and because of these abominations the Lord, your God drives them out from before you.

      13 You shall be blameless before the Lord your God.

      14 For these nations which you will dispossess listened to soothsayers and diviners; but as for you, the Lord your God has not appointed such for you.

      I would pray and submit my humble request to our members to kindly consider and take action as soon as possible so that at least by next year we can stop this practice in the church by a decree from our Bava.

      May God bless all

      Prakash Varghese

      Sinner

      ---In indianorthodox@yahoogroups.com, <eldhojoseph@...> wrote:

      Dearly beloved,

      Please see the pdf attachment on the subject matter.

      Yours in Christ

      Dr. Eldho Joseph
      St. Dionysius Orthodox Church
      Al Ain, UAE.