35403Re: Helping our Seminarians in the US

  • Steven Kurian
    Oct 22, 2013
      Dear all,

      I have been blessed to have worked with many of our American seminary graduates, both from St. Vladimir's OTS and St. Tikhon's OTS. From my perspective, their theological and pastoral training has been excellent and tailored to their field of ministry here in America. That being said, I can't really speak authoritatively on the relative merits of one seminary's training versus another. What I do know is that these students acknowledge that their training has been in Chalcedonian theology and the Byzantine Rite, and in general most have been spending 6-9 months studying in India above and beyond their seminary programs.

      I think what we are missing is that this should all be considered a temporary arrangement. We are an anchored community here (roughly 5 decades!), and ultimately, as a Church, we should be working towards establishing a permanent institution for training ministry candidates. In the meantime, we should make good use of well established local Orthodox academic resources to train American-born youth for the American field of ministry. Our sister Armenian Church already has a seminary, St. Nersess', which is able to offer masters degrees in conjunction with the accredited St. Vladimir's (OCA) seminary. That type of arrangement, and eventually our own accredited institution, should be the 30-40 year plan for our Church.

      Steve Kurian
      Feasterville, Pennsylvania
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic