Terrorism: US Against "Them"

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2001
      Indian Comics Irregular #65

      "An eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind."

      Mohandas K. Gandhi

      In the wake of the 9/11 holocaust in New York City, I received the
      following e-mail:

      This is Nicholas Longo, the CEO of CoffeeCup Software. As you may
      have heard the World Trade Center and Pentagon were attacked about
      45 minutes ago.

      The Team at CoffeeCup would like to send our heart felt sorrow to
      those that perished in these attacks.

      We would like to also say on record that if any country is found
      responsible for these attacks, we call for that country's complete
      destruction and annihilation.

      What? Why stop with just annihilating a few million innocent
      people? Why not destroy the whole continent? Perhaps the whole
      hemisphere? Maybe if we killed every human being who isn't an
      American, we'd finally be safe.

      Of course, it would be ironic if this attack, like the Oklahoma City
      bombing, turned out to be the work of America's freedom-loving
      "patriots." Then we'd have to annihilate ourselves. Ooops.

      Meanwhile, Neil Clark wrote the following comments to the LA Times,
      9/12/01:

      Tell me again how Islam is a religion of peace; tell me again that
      the adherents of Islam abhor violence; tell me again how "unfair"
      it is of the media to portray the majority of terrorists as Middle
      Eastern fanatics.

      Clark and others seem ready to condemn the world's 1.1 billion
      Moslems. Or maybe they'd just like to throw one-fifth of the world's
      population into concentration camps until we have time to sort them
      out. We're not doing anything with Alaska now; maybe they'll all fit
      in there.

      Exactly how many of these 1.1 billion people does Clark think
      conspired to harm the US? A million? Ten million? A hundred
      million? Give us a number or spare us the stupid stereotypes.

      Can there be a better example of how stereotyping people replaces
      nuanced understanding with knee-jerk reactions? I doubt it.

      America, the Warrior Society

      George W. Bush has cast the battle against terrorism in comic-book
      terms: good vs. evil. He and others have said we must be strong,
      like John Wayne or Superman. But some examples suggest we may be
      "strong" enough already:

      · A dozen football players have died this summer after thinking
      they had to work out in enervating heat and take ephedrine
      supplements to win.

      · After onlookers urged a Seattle woman to jump off a bridge, a
      columnist wrote, "Given that nearly every person suffers romantic
      rejection, threatening suicide over this loss is the action of a
      profoundly immature individual."

      · After visiting LA's Museum of Tolerance, Andrew Franks, 11, who
      identified himself as "Spanish, Indian, and American," said he liked
      "where they showed all the stuff they used to kill."

      Quote of the Day

      We told them to let us alone, and keep away from us; but they
      followed on, and beset our paths, and they coiled themselves among
      us, like the snake. They poisoned us by their touch. We were not
      safe. We lived in danger. We were becoming like them, hypocrites
      and liars, adulterers, lazy drones, all talkers, and no workers.

      Osama bin Laden justifying his murderous acts? No, Chief Black Hawk,
      Sauk Indian, surrendering to the forces of American dominion, 1832.

      For more on the terrorist attacks, go to
      http://www.bluecorncomics.com/terror.htm.