Adolf Hitler: A True American

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2001
      Indian Comics Irregular #62

      Most people think Hitler and his genocidal policies were the unique
      product of an evil mind. Not quite. As John Toland notes in his
      book "Adolf Hitler," a key source for Hitler's Final Solution was
      none other than the good ol' US of A:

      Hitler's concept of concentration camps as well as the
      practicality of genocide owed much, so he claimed, to his studies
      of English and United States history. He admired the camps for
      Boer prisoners in South Africa and for the Indians in the wild
      west; and often praised to his inner circle the efficiency of
      America's extermination--by starvation and uneven combat--of the
      red savages who could not be tamed by captivity.

      If that isn't bad enough, here's the kicker: Hitler got his ideas
      from Western novels. As David A. Meier explains on his website
      "Hitler's Rise to Power":

      His favorite game to play outside was cowboys and Indians. Tales
      of the American West were very popular among boys in Austria and
      Germany. Books by James Fenimore Cooper and especially German
      writer Karl May were eagerly read and re-enacted. May, who had
      never been to America, invented a hero named Old Shatterhand, a
      white man who always won his battles with Native Americans,
      defeating his enemies through sheer will power and bravery. Young
      Hitler read and reread every one of May's books about Old
      Shatterhand, totaling more than 70 novels. He continued to read
      them even as F├╝hrer. During the German attack on the Soviet
      Union he sometimes referred to the Russians as Redskins and
      ordered his officers to carry May's books about fighting Indians.

      Dime novels were the pulp fiction of Hitler's day--the equivalent of
      today's comic books and straight-to-video movies. Hitler read about
      the slaughter of Indians...and was inspired to engineer the
      Holocaust. Has there ever been a better testament to the power of
      make-believe violence?

      For more on Hitler's motivations, visit
      http://www.bluecorncomics.com/hitler.htm.

      Superman/Batman Aggression Hour

      Like many people, I've watched ultra-violent cartoons all my life. I
      thought they were harmless compared to "real" media violence: the
      kind where people shoot and kill each other without moral
      consequences. Now I'm not so sure.

      I came across a study in which nursery-school children watched either
      Batman and Superman cartoons, "Mister Roger's Neighborhood," or
      neutral programming. The results:

      Researchers found that the youngsters who watched Batman and
      Superman cartoons were more physically active, both in the
      classroom and on the playground. Also, they were more likely to
      get into fights and scrapes with each other, play roughly with
      toys, break toys, snatch toys from others, and get into little
      altercations. No mass murders broke out, but, they were simply
      more aggressive and had more aggressive encounters.

      Or as one parent said, "Try putting your kids in front of a Jackie
      Chan movie sometime and see how long it takes for them to start
      karate-kicking things." The evidence against media violence
      continues at http://www.bluecorncomics.com/grossman.htm.

      Praise for BlueCornComics.com

      Our website received some nice compliments recently. Violence expert
      David Grossman called it "THE reference source" on the link between
      media and real-life violence. Native activist Matthew Richter called
      it "the bomb" on the subject of Indian stereotyping. See what they
      had to say at http://www.bluecorncomics.com/pr8.htm.

      Before I forget, congratulations to the NBA champion Los Angeles
      Lakers. Preaching his Native-themed philosophy, coach Phil Jackson
      led them to another championship--their second and his eighth. Could
      it be a coincidence?