McFarlane Does the Wild Things

  • Robert Schmidt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2001
      Indian Comics Irregular #50

      Todd McFarlane, probably America's most successful comic book
      entrepreneur, has agreed to make action figures for "Where the Wild
      Things Are," Maurice Sendak's classic children's book. As the LA
      Times reported it, 1/2/01:

      The toy maker, who is also well-known for his multimillion-dollar
      purchase of Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa home-run baseballs, said
      the wild things fit in with his love of the unconventional,
      including Dr. Seuss titles.

      "I always said I want to meet the people who did this book,"
      McFarlane says. "Somebody signed off on these guys'
      less-than-perfect ideals. And sold them to kids, God bless them.

      "The reason I loved the book is it was my early indoctrination
      into the world of monsters," McFarlane says. "I have never left
      it since. I can now blame Maurice for my R-rated antics."

      What does this item tell us? Kids may read their Scouting manuals or
      Bibles by day, but fantasies are what inspire them. Whether it's
      Tarzan or Sherlock Holmes, Tom Swift or Nancy Drew, the Lone Ranger
      or Xena, children have always dreamed of heroes and longed to escape
      into Never-Never Land with them.

      From Jules Verne to Star Trek, Dracula to Stephen King, the Wizard of
      Oz to Harry Potter, the connections are clear. People love to
      stretch their imaginations, even if they're loath to admit it. Their
      childhood longings are still buried somewhere, waiting for an excuse
      to emerge.

      Fantasy is big business these days, and comics are a natural part of
      it. Unfortunately, comics have never received much critical support,
      and now they're falling by the wayside. Can they survive the
      onslaught of video games and other animated adventures?

      Maybe not in their present form, but innovative models like graphic
      novels and e-publishing beckon. The point is that people are hungry
      for the sustenance fantasy provides. If today's comics could shed
      their juvenile aspects and appeal to diverse adults, they could
      ensure their existence in the new millennium.

      The Indian Influence

      If you're like me, you've wondered about the Native connection in
      some of the Indian comics we've listed online
      (http://www.bluecorncomics.com/nacomics.htm). Advisor Todd Tamanend
      Clark explains the rationale for including them:

      HAWKMAN (Katar Hol)--the most recent version--is the son of a
      Thanagarian father and a Cherokee mother. She reentered his life
      after he moved to Earth, and his heritage is prominent in the Hawkman
      series.

      JONAH HEX was adopted and raised by Apaches and interacts with many
      Indians on a regular basis.

      The Golden Age GREEN ARROW was an avid collector of native art and
      artifacts, and Connor Hawke is part Cherokee.

      ANIMAL MAN is of part-Native descent and Native themes were frequent
      in his long-running Vertigo series.

      Many of the characters in LOVE AND ROCKETS are Indian, and the most
      prominent one, Luba, now has her own series.

      TALES OF THE BEANWORLD is based on concepts from Hopi mythology.

      More Artwork Online

      Theo Tso (Navajo/Southern Paiute) penciled much of the PEACE PARTY
      prototype issue, #0. He may have been the first Indian to draw
      Indian comics since Ryan Huna Smith's work on TRIBAL FORCE #1. You
      can see samples of Theo's art at
      http://www.bluecorncomics.com/showcase.htm.