[Ind-Arch] Fwd: Re: Year of Mahabharta

  • JK
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 29, 2004
      From Early India by Romila Thapar:

      "A point of culmination is the war at Kurukshetra, described in the
      Mahabharata, which acts as another time-maker, after which the present
      cycle of time - the Kaliyuga - commences. The date for this is given
      in the form of a planetary configuration. It was calculated many
      centuries later for astronomical purposes, probably by Aryabhata, and
      is equivalent to 3102 BC. There seems to have been a conflation of the
      date for the Kaliyuga with the date for the war, as 3102 BC would be
      far too early for such a war and would be in conflict with historical
      evidence suggesting a later date"

      Here is an article by Nandita Krishna on the excavations in Dwaraka.
      http://www.newindpress.com/sunday/sundayitems.asp?
      id==SEC20030329055837&eTitle==Columns&rLink==0

      Some paragraphs from it

      Bet Dwaraka was an island frequented by Krishna who is said to have
      visited its Shankhodara Temple. It also contains the only ancient
      temple for Matsya, the epic saviour of the world at the time of the
      Great Flood. The materials discovered at Dwaraka corroborate history
      and myth, and fix a date for the inundation of the city — between
      1500
      and 1300 BC

      Underwater exploration yielded two gateways, fort walls, bastions and
      a jetty at a depth of 10 metres off Dwaraka, in the Arabian Sea. Apart
      from corresponding to the Mahabharata's description of the
      architectural features of the city and the mode of its submergence, it
      has directly fixed a date by TM for the pottery of Dwaraka at 3520
      years BP (Before Present).

      Cheers,

      JK

      --- In IndiaArchaeology@yahoogroups.com, "rkk" <rkk@N...> wrote:
      > Is it relevant in the debate on the chronology of the Bharata battle
      that
      > Indraprastha, said to be founded at the time of the battle, is
      > archaelogically believed to a PGW site?
      > Rajesh Kochhar
      > -----
      > >
      > > Astronomical Evidence: In the Mahabharata references to sequential
      > > solar and lunar eclipses as also references to some celestial
      > > observations have been made. Dr RN Iyengar, the great scientist of
      > > Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, examined relevant
      > references
      > > and searched for the compatible dates by making use of planetarium
      > > software (PVIS and EZC). He concluded that most of these
      references
      > > were internally consistent and that the eclipses and celestial
      > > observations of Mahabharata belong to the period 1493 BC-1443 BC
      of
      > > Indian History, (refer Indian Journal of History of
      > > Science/38.2/2003/77-115).
      > >
      > > In the Mahabharata, there are references to three sequential solar
      > > eclipses and some other planetary positions. Reference to the
      first
      > > solar eclipse comes in the Sabha Parva (79.29), graphically
      > > described by Vidur when Pandavas start their journey to the forest
      > > on being banished for 12 years of life in exile and one year of
      > life
      > > incognito after they had lost everything in the game of dice.
      After
      > > 13 years of exile and incognito life, the Pandavas returned to
      > > Hastinapur and demanded their kingdom back, but Duryodhana
      refused.
      > > Several efforts to prevent war failed and war became imminent.
      > >
      > > There is a reference to the second solar eclipse in the Bhisma
      > Parva
      > > (3.29), following a lunar eclipse occurring within the same
      > > fortnight a few days before the actual war of Mahabharata. These
      > > eclipses occurred after 14-15 years of the first solar eclipse The
      > > epic also refers to some unfavourable planetary positions between
      > > the second solar eclipse and the beginning of the war on Kartika
      > > Purnima (Bhisma Parva 3.14 to 3.19). On Kartika Krishna Ashtami,
      > > Saturn was near Rohini and Mars was between Jayestha and Anuradha.
      > > Twenty two days later, on Kartika Purnima, Saturn was near Rohini,
      > > Mars was near Jayestha (probably Uranus) was between Citra and
      > Swati.
      > >
      > > Another white planet (possibly Jupiter) had moved from
      Purva-bhadra
      > > to Uttar-bhadra. Reference to the third solar eclipse comes in the
      > > Mausala Parva (2.19 to 2.20) occurring in the 36th year of the
      > > Mahabharata War. This was visible from the city of Dwarka, which
      is
      > > stated to have been subsequently submerged under the sea. For
      these
      > > observations to be internally consistent, there should have been
      > > three solar eclipses within 50 years. The first one and the second
      > > one after a gap of 14-15 years should have been visible from
      > > Kurukshetra whereas the third solar eclipse should have been
      > visible
      > > from Dwarka after 35 years of the second one.
      >
      > http://www.indianest.com/astro/00325.htm (gist given here)
      > · The epic states that a singularly ominous pair of eclipses
      > occurred in "Thirteen days" some time before the war. Using modern
    • S.Kalyanaraman
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
        --- In IndiaArchaeology@yahoogroups.com, "rkk" <rkk@N...> wrote:
        > Is it relevant in the debate on the chronology of the Bharata
        battle that> Indraprastha, said to be founded at the time of the
        battle, is> archaelogically believed to a PGW site?

        It could be a case of name coincidence.

        There is no archaeological proof that Indraprastha was a Mahabharata
        site. It is also not clear if the site was fully explored to the
        last settlement levels.

        According to Jaina history, the war was fought on the banks of River
        Sarasvati. This is in the Sapta Sindhu region as shown in 1881 map
        of a French encyclopaedia. http://www.hindunet.org/saraswati
      • kishore_future
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
          respected kochharji,

          is ur latest book on aryans available on web? i read it half thorgh
          and found it extremely stimulating.

          regards

          kishore

          --- In IndiaArchaeology@yahoogroups.com, "rkk" <rkk@N...> wrote:
          > Is it relevant in the debate on the chronology of the Bharata
          battle that
          > Indraprastha, said to be founded at the time of the battle, is
          > archaelogically believed to a PGW site?
          > Rajesh Kochhar
          > -----
          > >
          > > Astronomical Evidence: In the Mahabharata references to sequential
          > > solar and lunar eclipses as also references to some celestial
          > > observations have been made. Dr RN Iyengar, the great scientist of
        • rkk
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2004
            I am afraid The Vedic People is not downloadable from the Net. It is
            published by Orient Longman.
            Rajesh Kochhar