Ein Fremdling im Rgveda (JIES, vol. 31.1-2, 2003)

  • vishalsagarwal
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2003
      Recently, N. Kazanas published a sixty page article
      titled `Indigenous Indo-Aryans and the Rigveda' in The Journal of
      Indo-European Studies (JIES), vol. 30, Numbers 3&4 (2002), pages 275-
      334. The article argues that the speakers of Indo-Aryan (IA)
      languages did not enter the Indian subcontinent around 1500 BC, as
      the conventional Aryan Invasion Theory (AIT) and its euphemistic
      versions hold. Kazanas further argued that the Rgveda, the oldest IA
      and Indian text, was composed mainly in the 4th millennium BC, and
      therefore, these peoples may have arrived into the Indian
      subcontinent around or before 4500 BC, not later. The article
      provoked nine comments, of which eight were quite short and were
      published in the same issue of the journal. The ninth comment, by
      Professor M. Witzel of the Harvard University, was published in the
      next issue (JIES vol. 31, No. 1-2 (2003), pages 107-185.

      In the latter issue of JIES, Kazanas wrote a 54 page `Final Reply'
      (JIES, vol. 31, No.1-2: pp. 187-240, 2003) to all his nine reviewers.
      He has responded to most of Witzel's important academic objections.
      My own critique here is meant to supplement Kazanas' response to
      Witzel. I will not repeat what Kazanas has already included in his
      final reply.

      My critique is available at

      1. In HTML format
      http://vishalagarwal.bharatvani.org/JIES2003-MW.html