Re: [Ind-Arch] Re: maurya coins

  • kishore patnaik
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 29, 2008
      Hi,

      Thanks for the information. Is this information available on the net?

      best ,

      Kishore patnaik

      On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 8:31 PM, Amol N. Bankar <ancientcoinsofindia@...> wrote:

      I agree D. Kosambi had done wonderful work in his time but lots of
      new things that had came in later and it is not included in his work.

      For updated works & more illustrations on punchmark coin pls refer
      following Books :

      1)Ancient Indian Silver Punchmarked Coins of the Magadha-Maurya
      Karshapana Series - Parmeshwari Lal Gupta, T. R. Hardaker, Indian
      Institute of Research in Numismatic Studies , 1985.( Good refernce
      for Magadha-Maurya coins)

      2)Punch-marked Coins of Early Historic India -Dilip Rajgor , Reesha
      Books International, California , 2001 ( Good refernce for Pre
      Mauryan - Janapada/local coins)

      There are specific reference on Kosala, Shurasena,Gandak-Gomati
      local and Saurashtra Punch mark coin if you require i will post the
      details.

      --- In IndiaArchaeology@yahoogroups.com, "Kishore patnaik"

      <kishorepatnaik09@...> wrote:

      > dear all,
      >
      > In his books, Kosambi has published the pictures (clip art) of
      coins
      > of Mauryan and perhaps, pre mauryan coins.
      >
      > They bear 5 indices on one side and probably a punch mark on the
      > other. These indices include sun and 6 sided flower type of
      design.

      > I request if any one can please produce this clip art on the net or
      > alternatively, give links to the same.
      >
      > I think they have much in common with the motifs of Indus valley,
      > which are reproduced in this web site:
      >
      > http://www.csuchico.edu/~cheinz/syllabi/asst001/fall97/2chd.htm
      >
      > Of course, if my thinking is true, then two things emerge:
      >
      > 1)There is a continuous thread of culture from indus to Maurya.
      This
      > is further fortified that the weight of coins seem to be the same
      > between those of Mauryans and what has been used by Indus people
      and
      > found in Mesopotamia.
      >
      > 2.Steve farmer had been crying hoarse for the last 4 years that
      Indus

      --
      Love is a fruit in season at all times,
      and within the reach of every hand.