Re: Hinduization of Bali [Was: Micronesia Mystery]

  • S.Kalyanaraman
    Message 1 of 49 , Oct 1, 2006
      --- In IndiaArchaeology@yahoogroups.com, "Francesco Brighenti"
      <frabrig@...> wrote:> > Isn't Bali a Hindu community, perhaps dated to
      the Vedic times?

      > Certainly not if one assumes _your_ dating of the Vedas is right,
      > and not even if one dates the composition of the Vedas to the second
      > half of the second millennium BCE as is currently done by the >
      greater part of Vedic scholars.

      Who knows? It is not a flash in the pan that there are Munda words in
      early Sanskrit texts.

      See Le Theatre d'ombres balinais by Halkin Emmanuelle
      http://akbar.free.fr/theatre.htm Coedes' Hinduised states of Southeast
      Asia discussing many early epigraphs in Sanskrit is certainly a
      pointer.

      The cultural milieu and metaphors used are complex and it is anyone's
      guess to theorize. Bali is also linked to Proto-Indo-European :)--

    • VeeJayKavi
      Message 49 of 49 , Oct 8, 2006
        --- In IndiaArchaeology@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Kekai Manansala"

        > > By 10th century the Tamil Kingdoms were already ruling the strait of
        > > Malakka;

        I have given some reference here many years ago on a similar
        discussion regarding SEA archeology findings with relates to India,
        and more specifically south India. Many inscription surrounding then
        Malaya (Sumatra, Siam, Jakarta) were found written in Tamil-Brahmi
        dating as early as 1-2 century. There are many tamil words in local
        languages of Malaya and Thailand. It doesn't mean that its origin is
        Dravidian or IE, but influence of those words only explains early
        minglings or traders from South India.

        Here are some recent findings…
        http://seaarch.wordpress.com/2006/07/26/tamil-brahmi-inscription-on-pottery-found-in-thailand/

        Valgha Valargha (Let us All Prosper with Prosperity),

        VeeJay