Re: Theories by archaeologists about graves: Further Questions

  • Arvind Vyas
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31, 2006
      --- In IndiaArchaeology@yahoogroups.com, "S.Kalyanaraman"
      <kalyan97@...> wrote:

      > --- In IndiaArchaeology@yahoogroups.com, "Carlos Aramayo"
      > <carlosaramayotigres@> wrote:
      > > Singh, Purushottam 2004. "The Chalcolithic Phase in the Middle
      Ganga
      > > Plain: Some Reflexions", paper presented at the National Seminar
      on
      > > the Archaeology of the Ganga Plain, Lucknow, 28-31 December,
      2004.

      > > One thing that we must take into account which this paper does
      not
      > > mention is that in Sarayupar area Lahuradewa site has a
      Chalcolithic
      > > phase also since around 2000 BC, just like Bihar sites.
      >
      > Thanks, Carlos, for the illuminating post.
      >
      > Is Lahurdewa the same site spelt as Lohardiwa in Rakesh Tewari
      > http://antiquity.ac.uk/ProjGall/tewari/tewari.pdf ? The sites
      where
      > iron smelters were found (ca. 1800 to 1000 BCE) include Malhar,
      Nal-ki-
      > tila and Lohardiwa. What would the extent of Sarayupur area be?
      Maybe,
      > what we had in the 3rd millennium in Ganga valley was a metals-
      lithic
      > phase (not merely chalco-, but also ferro-).

      Dear Dr.Kalyanaraman,

      Rakesh Tiwari, who is State Archelogy director, U.P. has mention in
      his paper the site as Lahurdeva too (so basically this is the same
      location); about 26 km from Gorakhpur (in the map this is shown as
      west); however a February 2006 article in the telegraph (associated
      with the finding of rice grains - that mentions it east).However the
      article mentions the site to be in the District Sant Kabir
      Nagar;which is west to Gorakhpur.

      http://www.telegraphindia.com/1060206/asp/nation/story_5810398.asp

      or tiny

      http://tinyurl.com/fr5ge

      Lake at this site is well studied.

      http://www.pages.unibe.ch/cgi-
      bin/WebObjects/abstracts.woa/wa/showabstract?id=358

      or tiny

      http://tinyurl.com/qrwdb

      Best regards,
      Arvind.