Aratta

  • jknair99
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
      Hi,

      I am watching the TV series Chanakya and in that there is a reference
      to a place called Aratta. The context is when Chanakya returns back to
      Pataliputra, his associate Sinharan comes there as a horse trader. He
      mentions that he is from Aratta and that place has well bred horses.

      I could not find this place in the Map. Where is Aratta ? I am using
      John Keay's book "India, a History". If there is a better book to
      follow while watching this series I would appreciate the reference.

      Thanks,

      JK
    • lsrinivas
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2002
        --- In IndiaArchaeology@y..., "jknair99" <jknair99@y...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I am watching the TV series Chanakya and in that there is a
        reference
        > to a place called Aratta. The context is when Chanakya returns back
        > Pataliputra, his associate Sinharan comes there as a horse trader.
        He
        > mentions that he is from Aratta and that place has well bred horses.

        Depending on one's point of view, Aratta is a name for a tribe or for
        the geography associated with this tribe.

        According to M Witzel, Aratta is Sistan (or Seistan). This is a
        region between E Iran and SW Afghanistan. (cf
        http://www1.shore.net/~india/ejvs/ejvs0501/ejvs0501c.txt)

        Aratta is also said to be a tribal name for some people who stayed
        behind in the Punjab when some other tribes viz., the Videhas etc
        moved into the Gangetic Plain. (Cf Romila Thapar, various articles,
        speeches).

        Since Aratta also figures in the Vedic literature, perhaps Talageri
        or Kak have identified its locale.

        If you do not subscribe to any form of Aryan migration, then the only
        clear thing that can be said is that the Aratta are a people in whose
        area lapis lazuli was mined and exported to Sumeria. Also, they did
        not have writing (cf The Story of 'Enmerkar and the Lord of Aratta',
        S N Kramer, Sumerians, Chicago, 1963).

        Hope this helps,

        Lakshmi Srinivas
      • lsrinivas
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2002
          --- In IndiaArchaeology@y..., "lsrinivas" <lsrinivas@y...> wrote:
          > --- In IndiaArchaeology@y..., "jknair99" <jknair99@y...> wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I am watching the TV series Chanakya and in that there is a
          > reference
          > > to a place called Aratta.

          Also, the Karnaparvan in Mahabharata is replete with references to
          Aratta. Salya the charioteer is apparently from Aratta. The following
          gives the

          pa~ncha nadyo vahantyetA yatra pIlu vanAnyapi .
          shatadrushcha vipAshA cha tR^itIyerAvatI tathA .
          chandra bhAgA vitastA cha sindhuShaShThA bahirgatAH .. 35..\\
          AraTTA nAma te deshA naShTadharmAnna tAnvrajet .
          vrAtyAnA.n dAsamIyAnA.n videhAnAmayajvanAm .. 36..\\
          (MBh VIII.30.35-36)

          Hope this helps,

          Lakshmi Srinivas
        • ravichaudhary2000
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 4, 2002
            --- In IndiaArchaeology@y..., "lsrinivas" <lsrinivas@y...> wrote:

            > If you do not subscribe to any form of Aryan migration, then the
            only
            > clear thing that can be said is that the Aratta are a people in
            whose
            > area lapis lazuli was mined and exported to Sumeria. Also, they did
            > not have writing (cf The Story of 'Enmerkar and the Lord of
            Aratta',
            > S N Kramer, Sumerians, Chicago, 1963).
            >
            > Hope this helps,
            >
            > Lakshmi Srinivas

            If you would , in brief, What is the story of the Lord of Aratta ?

            also

            can the 'a' in aratta be ' silent", so should we be looking
            " rata' or " ratta "

            Thanks

            Ravi