"Mughal era "Hamams" and hospital discovered at Fatehpur Sikri

  • JK
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2005
      "Mughal era "Hamams" and hospital discovered at Fatehpur Sikri
      Agra | December 01, 2005 2:24:38 PM IST

      Fatehpur Sikri, Mughal Emperor Akbar's dream city, has come up some new finds, thanks to the labourious excavatory work of the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI).

      According to Munazar Ali, a monument conservation assistant, the remains of three" Hamams" (large bathrooms for cold and warm water), an ancient hospital and a dome-like structure of the Mughal era have been discovered.

      "We are here to conserve the beauty of the heritage. Before conserving any site we first check the stability and evidence. It is only after checking it we go in its depth. We have done excavation near Tansen's palace and have found four chambers from where hot and cold water used to come. We have also found dome structures and flat roof," Ali added.

      The ASI officials are yet to confirm whether the ruins are a part of Tansen's Palace.

      "The ASI started excavation here few months back and during excavation they found many things that were lying buried under the rubble. "We can't associate these with Tansen. People are of the view that it belongs to Tansen because they founded the steps near the place associated with Tansen. We can't say anything. Our motive is conservation and we have just found "Hamams", dome so far,"says Ali.

      Built in the latter half of the 16th century, Fatehpur Sikri was the capital of the Mughal Empire for about 10 years. (ANI)"

      http://news.webindia123.com/news/showdetails.asp?id=178197&cat=India