Rebuilding ancient monuments

  • ymalaiya
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2002
      I think some ancient monuments in India also should be rebuilt, in
      replica or in form of electronic images.

      The Chinese (some of the towers) and the Japanese (forts) have
      rebuilt some of their lost monuments.

      Yashwant

      ---
      Egypt rebuilds ancient tomb

      Egyptologists are working to make an exact copy of the tomb of Seti
      in Egypt.

      Subsidence closed the original desert tomb many years ago, but using
      high-resolution images and 3D maps, project workers hope to build an
      exact replica of the tomb near Egypt's new National Museum by 2005.

      Leader of the project Adam Low told BBC World Service: "The facsimile
      will be more complete than the tomb is now.

      "We are working to show what is physically possible using the cutting
      edge of technology."

      Squeezed walls

      It aims to enable people to experience the tomb without damaging it.

      Relief works will be recast

      Adam Low, of the company Factum Arte, described how the tomb was once
      so beautiful that it had been likened to "the Sistine chapel of
      Egyptian art".

      "It was discovered in 1817 by Belzoni," he explained. "But within a
      few years sections had been hacked out and taken to museums around
      the world.

      "More endemically, the surface had been squeezed, which was basically
      a process of casting.

      According to Low, using a mixture of wax and vegetable fibre, art
      historians had attempted to obtain true reliefs. However, the mixture
      had the detrimental effect of also removing all of the paint.

      "We took this as our first starting point as it raises lots of
      questions about what you do with facsimiles," Low said.

      "Should the facsimile aim to show the tomb exactly like it is? Are
      there ways that we scan sections of Seti and bring more and more data
      to life?"

      Dust replica

      Using high quality scanning equipment, individual artefacts which are
      currently scattered in museums and galleries around the world, are
      now painstakingly being recorded and will be rebuilt using this data.

      The end result, the project workers hope, will be a facsimile tomb
      which will be more complete than the one which is underground.

      "Most of the digital work that has gone on focuses on screen-based
      display," Low explained. "But you can now take our digital data and
      carve it and rout it.

      "It will be an exact replica of the tomb to an accuracy of a tenth of
      a millimetre. Including dust on the floor, the temperature and smells
      in the tomb; it will have exactly the same qualities."

      National heritage

      The tomb of Seti is often considered the largest and most lavishly
      decorated tomb in the Valley of the Kings in Egypt.

      Since the 1980s it has been closed to the public because of
      structural problems - exacerbated by the thousands of annual
      visitors.

      The former head of Egypt's Supreme Council for Antiquities, Professor
      Gaballah ali Gaballah, said there was a real need for the replica
      project.

      "This tomb is not visited by everybody... we do not even allow
      Egyptian students in and that is wrong as this is their heritage;
      they are entitled to it."