temples, ritual, & cosmic symbols in the ancient world

  • K. Loganathan
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2013
      From EP list

      Tue Aug 6, 2013 9:10 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

      "Stephan Pickering" stefanpickering2002

      The Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago has  posted a new volume in the Oriental Institute Seminars series:

      Deena Ragavan, ed., 2013. Heaven on earth: temples, ritual, & cosmic symbolism in the ancient world (The Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago, Oriental Institute Seminars # 9), 463pp

      One can download the book as a PDF for free at oi.uchicago. edu (click on the down arrow next to 'terms of use').

      The table-of-contents:

      Introduction
      1. Heaven on Earth: Temples, Ritual, and Cosmic Symbolism in the Ancient World. Deena Ragavan

      Part I: Architecture and Cosmology
      2. Naturalizing Buddhist Cosmology in the Temple Architecture of China: The Case of the Yicihui Pillar. Tracy Miller
      3. Hints at Temple Topography and Cosmic Geography from Hittite Sources. Susanne Görke
      4. Images of the Cosmos: Sacred and Ritual Space in Jaina Temple Architecture in India. Julia A. B. Hegewald

      Part II: Built Space and Natural Forms

      5. The Classic Maya Temple: Centrality, Cosmology, and Sacred Geography in Ancient Mesoamerica. Karl Taube
      6. Seeds and Mountains: The Cosmogony of Temples in South Asia. Michael W. Meister
      7. Intrinsic and Constructed Sacred Space in Hittite Anatolia. Gary Beckman

      Part III: Myth and Movement
      8. On the Rocks: Greek Mountains and Sacred Conversations. Betsey A. Robinson
      9. Entering Other Worlds: Gates, Rituals, and Cosmic Journeys in Sumerian Sources. Deena Ragavan
      Part IV: Sacred Space and Ritual Practice

      10. “We Are Going to the House in Prayer”: Theology, Cultic Topography, and Cosmology in the Emesal Prayers of Ancient Mesopotamia. Uri Gabbay
      11. Temporary Ritual Structures and Their Cosmological Symbolism in Ancient
      Mesopotamia. Claus Ambos
      12. Sacred Space and Ritual Practice at the End of Prehistory in the Southern Levant. Yorke M. Rowan

      Part V: Architecture, Power, and the State
      13. Egyptian Temple Graffiti and the Gods: Appropriation and Ritualization in Karnak and Luxor. Elizabeth Frood
      14. The Transformation of Sacred Space, Topography, and Royal Ritual in Persia and the Ancient Iranian World. Matthew P Canepa
      15. The Cattlepen and the Sheepfold: Cities, Temples, and Pastoral Power in Ancient Mesopotamia. Omur Harmansah

      Part VI: Images of Ritual
      16. Sources of Egyptian Temple Cosmology: Divine Image, King, and Ritual Performer. John Baines
      17. Mirror and Memory: Images of Ritual Actions in Greek Temple Decoration. Clemente Marconi

      PART VII: Responses

      18. Temples of the Depths, Pillars of the Heights, Gates in Between. Davíd Carrasc
      19. Cosmos and Discipline. Richard Neer
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

      STEPHAN BOROWSKI PICKERING / Chofetz Chayim benAvraham
      Torah G-ddess Yehu'di Apikores  / Philologia Kabbalistica Speculativa Researcher

      JANE PICKERING BOROWSKI
      Empath Medium, Co-Editor & Publisher

      THE KABBALAH FRACTALS PROJECT
      after 31 August:
      801 Brookhaven Drive # 1A
      Brookings, Oregon 97415-8134

      stephanpickering47@ gmail.com

      IN PROGRESS: Dialects of a synaesthetic heart: poetics for Faline Pickering (23 January
      1949 -- 24 August 2008)
      IN PROGRESS: Alfred Russel Wallace' s KING KONG: the semioptics of Willis O'Brien
      IN PROGRESS: Mutanda Dinosaurologica: in memory of Samuel Paul Welles (9 November
      1909 -- 6 August 1997)

      TWIN FLAME IN THE QUANTUM HOLOGRAPHIC STRING MULTIVERSE TO:
      JANE PICKERING BOROWSKI, MY WIFE
      PARTNER IN THE UNIVERSE TO: FALINE PICKERING, MY BELOVED QUANTUM AQUARIUS
      BROTHER IN THE UNIVERSE TO: KITTY CALEENE PICKERING, MY SISTER

      ...the comprehension that I strove for turned into something that resisted conceptualization all the more emphatically the older I became; for it revealed a secret life, one which I had to acknowledge as being impossible to conceptualize, and which seemed portrayable only through symbols.
      -- REB GERSHOM SCHOLEM
      One concept corrupts and confuses the others. I am not speaking of the Evil whose limited sphere is ethics; I am speaking of the infinite. ...Reality is not always probable, or likely.
      -- JORGE LUIS BORGES
      G-d is all that exists, but not all that exists is G-d.
      -- R. MOSHE CORDOVERO