Re: [Ind-Arch] A Manual of Hurrian

  • Arnaud
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8, 2013
      Le 08/03/2013 08:38, Vishnu Khare a écrit :
      Congratulations,Arnaud.It promises very interesting and useful reading.Vishnu Khare
      ***

      I hope so. :-)

      I've tried to make it as clear and enjoyable as possible.

      Best

      A.
      ***

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 9, 2013
        Congratulations Arnaud, on your publication: A Manual on Hurrian.
        It is not often that we find such an erudite scholar and linquist in our midst.
        It would appear that the text is a valuable contribution to Hurritology.

        I am aware of your I-E Elements in Hurrian.

        Keep up the good work.

        Regards,
        Ram

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 11, 2013
          Le 09/03/2013 09:29, Ram Varmha a écrit :
          > Congratulations Arnaud, on your publication: A Manual on Hurrian.
          > It is not often that we find such an erudite scholar and linguist in
          > our midst.
          > It would appear that the text is a valuable contribution to Hurritology.
          ***

          I hope so.
          We'll see how it is received and reviewed.

          A.
          ***
          > I am aware of your I-E Elements in Hurrian.
          > http://www.academia.edu/642012/The_Indo-European_Elements_In_Hurrian
          ***

          The Manual incorporates a number of things already existing in the IE
          Elements,
          but it's considerably more detailed as regards the description of
          Hurrian, especially the syntax and the archaic forms.
          It also has a huge philological section and chapters on Mittanni Aryan
          or Armenian, which are new.
          To some extent the IE Elements were a draft, the Manual is a (reference)
          book.
          In all cases it aims at being one.

          A.
          ***

          > Keep up the good work.
          > Regards,
          > Ram
          ***

          I'm working on a couple of other books:
          1. A Glossary of Hurrian and Kassite
          2. The Hurrian Fables in KBo32
          3. The Song of Release
          4. A Hurrian Approach of lexemes in Ugaritic Script

          Some of them should appear this year, I think.

          Best Wishes

          A.
          ***
        • Suzanne Redalia
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 11, 2013
            Very good, I'm sure I will do well to have a better  understanding of Hurrian, since I am interested in ancient writing systems and languages in general.

            Suzanne

            On Mar 8, 2013, at 11:03 PM, Arnaud wrote:

            Le 09/03/2013 00:22, Suzanne Redalia a écrit :

            Thanks, M. Fournet. Is it available in English yet?

            ***

            yes, of course,
            The title and most of it is in English.
            The glossary is more or less trilingual, having glosses in French (from Laroche) and German (from Friedrich), in addition to main glosses in English.

            I chose to write it in English, rather than French, because I believe it has more potential buyers if it's in English.

            The site where you can buy the book is French but the book is basically in English.
            You needn't worry about being able to read it.

            Best

            A.
            ***

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 11, 2013
              Le 12/03/2013 01:23, Suzanne Redalia a écrit :

              > Very good, I'm sure I will do well to have a better understanding of
              > Hurrian, since I am interested in ancient writing systems and
              > languages in general.
              >

              > Suzanne
              ***
              The Manual can fulfill your needs and interest as regards the language.

              I think I'll tackle a book that will deal specifically with Hurrian
              cuneiform.
              I need such a book myself to read Hurrian texts and existing stuff does
              not really address my needs.
              It's always a pain to find the f**ing sign in the lists.
              I need something that is clean and efficient and provides the readings
              in five seconds.
              Existing manuals about Akkadian are quite muddy and confused, I'm afraid.

              A.