Indus Valley Floods: Climate and civilization interaction

  • JK
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2013
      http://conferences.futureocean.org/index.php/YSC/YSC3/paper/view/11

      Abstract

      The Indus Valley floods of 2010 affected more people than any other
      catastrophe of the present century. The reason apparently suggest a
      lack of information and hence preparedness to the scale of floods.
      However, nature possesses in itself the potential evidence for use of
      humanity to learn from its past. Indus Valley hosted one of the
      world’s largest ancient civilization until 1900 BC for a millennium.
      The causes of its decline are a mystery until present. We investigate
      paleoclimatic evidence from the Indus river fan in the Arabian Sea. A
      re-visit of laminated varves and their corresponding thickness to
      heavier output of sediments in monsoon, suggests varying flood
      frequency and intensity for the last 5000 years. We find that Indus
      Valley experienced extreme floods around 1750 BC with the increased
      frequency of 8 and 12 years compared to 39 years of frequency in
      complete record of varves proxy. Failed flood mitigation may have
      ultimately resulted in the decline of Indus Valley civilization.