Re: [Ind-Arch] First Ever Encyclopedia of the world is not in English but in Sanskrit -- V. Sundaram

  • Arnaud
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2012
      Le 31/10/2012 02:59, S. Kalyanaraman a écrit :
      First Ever Encyclopedia of the world is not in English but in Sanskrit

      Whathas been deliberately suppressed by the Western Scholars rooted in the Eurocentric Anti-Hindu tradition is that the Keladi King Basava Bhupala produced the first ever Encyclopedia of the World in any language, Sivatattva Ratnakara in Sanskrit in 1699—29 years before the first Encyclopedia in English by Ephraim Chambers in 1728 and 52 years before the first Encyclopedia in the French Language by Denis Diderot in 1751.

      TheSansrkirt Encyclopedia of Basava Bhupala published in 1699 was in no way less detailed or less verstile than the encyclopedia of Ephraim Chambers in English published in 1728 (London) or Encyclopédie, ou dictionnaire raisonné des sciences, des arts et des métiers of Denis Diderot in French published in 1751 (Paris).

      SaraswathiVenkateswaran has made a signal contribution to the advancement of Sanskrit learning by producing her thesis on Sivatattva Ratnakara.The Madras University and its Vice Chancellor Ramachandran have to be congratulated for recognizing the outstanding academic work of Dr Smt Saraswathi Venkateswaran.

      A pioneering Sanskrit encyclopaedia of 1699 AD

      --
      S. Kalyanaraman
      ***

      This is quite ridiculous.

      The Lexicon Geographicum by Filipe Ferrari is two centuries older,
      not to mention works in Arabic written by Al-Istakhri in the 10 and 11 centuries (AD).

      A.
    • Arvind!
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2012
        --- In IndiaArchaeology@yahoogroups.com, Arnaud <fournet.arnaud@...> wrote:

        > Le 31/10/2012 02:59, S. Kalyanaraman a écrit :
        > > First Ever Encyclopedia of the world is not in English but in Sanskrit
        > >
        > > What has been deliberately suppressed by the Western Scholars rooted
        > > in the Eurocentric Anti-Hindu tradition is that the Keladi King Basava
        > > Bhupala produced the first ever Encyclopedia of the World in any
        > > language, Sivatattva Ratnakara in Sanskrit in 1699â€"29 years before the
        > > first Encyclopedia in English by Ephraim Chambers in 1728 and 52 years
        > > before the first Encyclopedia in the French Language by Denis Diderot
        > > in 1751.
        > >
        > > The Sansrkirt Encyclopedia of Basava Bhupala published in 1699 was in
        > > no way less detailed or less verstile than the encyclopedia of Ephraim
        > > Chambers in English published in 1728 (London) or Encyclopédie, ou
        > > dictionnaire raisonné des sciences, des arts et des métiers of Denis
        > > Diderot in French published in 1751 (Paris).
        > >
        > > Saraswathi Venkateswaran has made a signal contribution to the
        > > advancement of Sanskrit learning by producing her thesis on Sivatattva
        > > Ratnakara.The Madras University and its Vice Chancellor Ramachandran
        > > have to be congratulated for recognizing the outstanding academic work
        > > of Dr Smt Saraswathi Venkateswaran.
        > >
        > > A pioneering Sanskrit encyclopaedia of 1699 AD
        > > <http://www.newstodaynet.com/col.php?section=20&catid=33&id=16702>
        > >
        > > --
        > > S. Kalyanaraman
        > ***
        >
        > This is quite ridiculous.
        >
        > The /Lexicon Geographicum/by Filipe Ferrari is two centuries older,
        > not to mention works in Arabic written by Al-Istakhri in the 10 and 11
        > centuries (AD).
        >
        > A.

        Hi,

        Amarakosha of Amar Singh (~4th Cent. CE); a navaratna of Vikramaditya's court; is also an Encyclopedia.

        "Gunaratha" of Ujjain translated it to Chinese in 7th century CE (so we know that it certainly preceds 7th century CE).

        Best regards,
        Arvind Vyas
      • Francesco Brighenti
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2012
          --- In IndiaArchaeology@yahoogroups.com, "Arvind!" <arvind_vyas@...> wrote:

          > Amarakosha of Amar Singh

          Did you mean to write "amarasiMha"? This is not a New Indo-Aryan name (your "Amar Singh")!

          > (~4th Cent. CE); a navaratna of Vikramaditya's court; is also an
          > Encyclopedia.

          No, it's a Sanskrit lexicon or thesaurus or synonymic dictionary; indeed, the proper title of this work, nAmaliGgAnuzAsana, means 'teaching of names and their gender'.

          Encyclopeadias are a different thing.

          Regards,
          Francesco