Re: Jiroft artifacts and 'script'

  • Carlos
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2012
      Naveen,

      Clearly most objects from Jiroft you show had antecedents in Early Harappan and Harappa phase, just like flat silver or gold disc necklaces originally created in Kunal and Mohenjo Daro.

      Such movement of artefacts from Indus to the West is attested reaching Mediterranean all through the so called Middle Asian Interaction Sphere that includes Southeastern Iran where Jiroft is located.

      Please see Aruz, Joan, ed. 2003. Art of the First Cities...

      Figure 72 shows the already mentioned gold disc necklaces from Mohenjo Daro to Aigina in Mediterranean.

      In the pictures of Jiroft pottery you show there is also what Kalyanaraman calls dotted circle or concentric circles, which had continuity in India since Harappan seals to Painted Gray Ware phase!

      Best regards,

      Carlos