Re: [Ind-Arch] On the Sumerian word tibira/tabira

  • Arnaud Fournet
    Message 1 of 198 , Mar 31, 2011
      From: ravilochanan iyengar
      To: IndiaArchaeology@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 4:02 PM
      Subject: Re: [Ind-Arch] On the Sumerian word tibira/tabira

      People have been trying to connect Hurrian 'tab-' with PIE *dhabh-.

      But the reflex of *dhabh- has the meaning 'artisan/smith' only in Latin
      ('faber') and Armenian ('darbin'). Pokorny gives the meaning 'proper'
      (fitting) for the reconstructed word. Thus, to postulate that *dhabh- meant
      artisan in PIE appears untenable. Hurrian 'tab-' could be a wanderwort from
      Armenian. That would explain the meaning 'smith'. To derive a word for smith
      from a word for 'proper/fitting' is easily possible. But to assume otherwise
      does not appear to be a good method.
      ***
      As regards method, let me remind you, Mr. Iyengar, that Armenian arrived on
      the spot 2000 years after the first attestation of Hurrian.

      => nonsense as usual.

      Try to learn some historical basics.

      A.
      ***
    • shivkhokra
      Message 198 of 198 , Jul 1, 2011
        --- In IndiaArchaeology@yahoogroups.com, "Francesco Brighenti" <frabrig@...> wrote:

        > I had written:
        >
        > > The RV sentence about the GREAT Sarasvati is a matter of local,
        > > homeland pride.
        >
        > Shivraj replied:
        >
        > > Homeland pride? How? Rather silly attempt I am afraid as it still
        > > does not answer, if one goes by the AIT thesis, that why would Aryans
        > > name a dry river Sarasvati when they had encountered many other non
        > > dry rivers on the way?
        >
        > 1) Sarasvati was not a "dry" river till Vinasana;

        This time hopefully you will stick around to conclude the debate. Please enlighten us with some dates on when you think aryans "arrived" and composed rg veda and when you think saraswati dried up where.

        > 2) "local, homeland pride" means exactly what it means, that is, the pride of a local communuty of Vedic Aryans whose settlement area was located on the banks of the Ghaggar river (the Vedic Sarasvati).

        See above. Please some dates.

        -Shivraj