Re: [Ind-Arch] Fw: Sumerian Lexiconand

  • K. Loganathan
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2010
      Dear Ram

      You may not accept my claims that Sumerian is Archaic Tamil and that Rigkrit is a variant of it.  Anything NEW may not  be acceptable immediately. But let me inform you that many scholars are beginning to see TRUTH in my claims. Soon I believe ancient Indian history will be seen in a different perspective where SumeroTamil studies will have an important role.

      Loga

      From: K. Loganathan <ulagankmy@...>
      To: IndiaArchaeology@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: akandabaratam@egroups.com, meykandar@egroups.com, tolkaappiyar@egroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 9:49 PM

      Dear Ram

      Thank-you but I will leave such studies for the future young  scholars specially Dravidian Linguists  to take up and gain a better understanding of the origin of writing systems, I believe Tolkaappiyam might have had its beginnings in the efforts of the Sumerians to develop the cuneiform script that had seen many developments.

      Loga

      From: K. Loganathan <ulagankmy@...>
      Subject: Re: [Ind-Arch] Fw: Sumerian Lexicon
      To: IndiaArchaeology@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: akandabaratam@egroups.com, meykandar@egroups.com, tolkaappiyar@egroups.com
      Date: Friday, October 22, 2010, 3:34 AM

      Dear Ram

      I am familiar with this Sumerian lexicon as well another site where Syuumerian texts are given.  I  have also a collection Sumerian in print and have been studying them

      Please read my lexical studies and grammatical studies uploaded at:

      http://arutkural.tripod.com/sumstudies/su-ta-lex.htm

      http://arutkural.tripod.com/sumstudies/sumerverb.htm

      and

      http://arutkural.tripod.com/sumstudies/sum-tamil-cangkam.html

      I reproduce here only the nouns beginning with A. The nearly 200 lexical correspondences here are only from one  Text - the Exaltations of  In-anna.

      Nouns

      1. Su.a-a , Ak. abu "father, begetter" a-a-ugu-mu, 52

      Ta. ayyaa: father, respaectable man; Ka. ayya,aya: father etc. Te. ayya,aya :id (DED163)

      2. Su. a: arm, wing, strength. u-de a ba-e-si 17,27

      Ta. aal: strength, power etc  as in aal-al (>aaRRal). Also Ta. aalvu: what is widw, broad, extensive etc.(W.74; DED313) Also ii, iir : wing (DED453)

      3. Su. ab, ab-ba ; Ak.aptu "hole, hole serving as a window" R-ta--dal 105

      Ta. aavi: to gape , yawn (DED33)

      4. Su. adda: corpse, e.g. adda-ku "to devour corpse" 127

      Ta. atu: to pound, kill, destroy. Hence atta: that which has been killed etc. (DED67). Also Ka. ade: to be closed, barred, shut-up, choked: adda, adde,  : a state of being across, transverse(DED73)

      5.Su. ag~a(= aga) : crown; aga-zi : right crown ,  4
      (note in Su. g=g~= n hence ag~a=aga=ana: possibly g~=  ng(í)

      Ta. aNi: decoration, ornament ; aNikam; ornament; Tu. ani: a kind of mark or appendage worn by devil dancer(DED98). Also Ta. angkam : symmetry, beauty: angku: beauty(DED32)

      6. Su. ama; Ak.umma : mother , ama-ugu : natural mother,61

      Ta. ammaa, ammai:mother,goddess; Ka. amma, ama :id (DED154)

      7. Su. a-ma-ru (<a-gi-ru); Ak.abubu :flood

      Ta. amari: ambrosia or nectar; urine(W>29); Ta. amirutam: water; amutam: id. Also maari: rain

      8. Su.an; Ak.samu, anu :heaven,sky,god of heaven

      Ta. aN: uppar part: aNNal : great man ,king, god (DED 96) Ta. aan, vaan : the sky (DED4410)

      Loga

      From: Ram Varmha <varmha@...>
      Subject: Sumerian Lexicon
      To: IndiaArchaeology@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 7:36 PM

      Dear Dr. Loganathan,

      Arnaud had given you a list of English words to compare to Tamil and Sumerian. We have not heard form you on that. I presume you are working on it.

      I request you one better. Attached is a Sumerian Lexicon condensed by Dr. John Halloran at the University of California in Los Angeles, US. Dr. Halloran is one of the leading authorities in Sumerian, (and a good friend of mine).

      It will be interesting to find out how many of the words in Dr. Halloran's list you find equivalent to Archaic Tamil? Kindly let us know. Will appreciate.

      Regards,
      Ram

    • Arnaud Fournet
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2010
        From: K. Loganathan
        You may not accept my claims that Sumerian is Archaic Tamil and that Rigkrit
        is a variant of it. Anything NEW may not be acceptable immediately. But
        let me inform you that many scholars are beginning to see TRUTH in my
        claims. Soon I believe ancient Indian history will be seen in a different
        perspective where SumeroTamil studies will have an important role.

        Loga

        ***

        there is a small introduction to Sumerian online:
        http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Sumerian/Grammar

        Please explain how Sumerian prefixal verb morphology can be Dravidian?
        http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Sumerian/Grammar/Lesson_Five_-_The_Verb_Chain

        By the way,
        Bomhard 2008 Reconstructing Proto-Nostratic:
        "15.5. CONCLUSIONS
        The evidence surveyed in this chapter indicates that Sumerian does not bear
        a special relationship to Elamo-Dravidian."

        Which "scholars" support your theory?

        Stay well.

        A.
      • K. Loganathan
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 3, 2010
          Dear A

          I have noticed this feature and noted it as Archaic. Certainly there has been a repriganization of the verbal morphology whereby the prefixes were delted and made into suffixes.  But there are frozen forms of Tamil verbs that suggest that intially the Archaic Tamil verbs had both prefixes and suffixes in Sumerian . A case in point is Su, mu-un-e-a which is Ta. muneeya. This 'mun' widely present in Sumerian as verbal prefix exists in C.Tamil only in frozen forms like munneeRu, muncel munnookku etc.

          The reoranization of Verb Morphology has been going on and constitutes part of the evolutionary changes. Even during  historical times, there was wide use of 'cin' as a verbal infix in SaGkam  Tamil but which dropped out in post SaGkam period. Many such changes have been  studied by Prof AgastiyaliGkam who has written many books on this.

          Loga

          Loga

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 3, 2010
            Dear Dr. Loganathan,

            I am not the only one who will find your claims that Sumerian is Archaic Tamil, unacceptable.
            No Sumeriologist or for that matter, any respectable Tamil language scholar, will find such flamboyant claims, as you make, acceptable. The primary reason for this is that you are unable to establish the link between Sumerian and Tamil even with the most basic and simple examples provided to you. If you are not able to show word-similarities between Sumerian and Tamil, as above, then no matter what you say will be met with skepticism.

            Beyond that, all the similarities that you find between Sumerian and Jainism and Hinduism and Vedic (the word Rigkrit is an artificial creation and let us not use it, please) are all hallucinatory, without any scientific basis. Can one say with any degree of seriousness: "Tolkaappiyam might have had its beginnings in the efforts of the Sumerians to develop the cuneiform script that had seen many developments"?

            I am sorry Dr. Loganathan, but it is not possible for me to accept your theories regarding Sumerian and Tamil. I wish you luck in finding a loyal following. That is the best I can respond.

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 4, 2010
              To : K. Loganathan

              You may be interested to read this:

              http://www.astroset.com/bireysel_gelisim/ancient/a31.htm

              Stay well.

              A.
            • K. Loganathan
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 4, 2010
                Dear A

                Thank-you and I will read it when free. Today is Deepavali and I intend to enjoy it a bit. I will forward this to my groups for the interested scholars to take up a deep study of it.

                Loga

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 5, 2010
                  Dr. L,
                  This is basically what Dr. Kaya mentioned to you on the BCN Group Site, some years ago, though in a slightly different manner!
                  Regards and Happy Diwali.
                  Ram