14786Rakesh Tewari on Antiquity of NBPW

  • Carlos
    Oct 21, 2012
      Dr. Rakesh Tewari, in his Presidential Address at the XXXVIII Annual Conference of the Indian Society for Prehistoric and Quaternary Studies delivered in Lucknow University on 28 December 2010, and published in 2011 in Man and Environment journal, says:

      "A new set of radiocarbon dates for the NBPW deposits, going back to c. 800 B.C. and even earlier in some cases, has emerged from Jhusi (Misra et al. 2003), Malhar and Raja-Nala-ka-tila (Tewari et al. 2000), Ayodhya (Kumar 2005), Gotihwa (Verardi 2007:17) and Juafar Dih (Saran et al. 2008)...Radiocarbon dates and stratigraphic contexts clearly indicate the presence of a pre-800 B.C. proto-NBPW phase at some of these sites...This evidence indicates that this wonderful pottery may be at least a couple of centuries older than c. 800 B.C." (Tewari 2011:23).

      Dr. Tewari also mentions G. Verardi's words regarding Middle Ganga Plain: "Proto-NBPW may exist at all the NBPW sites in the region dated to or earlier than the 9th-8th century B.C." (Verardi 2007:17).

      Based on this and my previous post I propose the following chronology: Proto NBPW (1200-800 B.C.); Early NBPW (800-300 B.C.); and Late NBPW (300-100 B.C.).

      Best regards,

      Carlos Aramayo

      --- In IndiaArchaeology@yahoogroups.com, "Carlos" <carlosaramayotigres@...> wrote:

      > ASI archaeologist B.R. Mani, with a presentation at the "International Seminar on Mahabharata" held in New Delhi in April 2012, comments on the datings of two archaeological sites near Rajgir and Nalanda, which are Ghorakatora and Juafardih respectively.
      >
      > In my view, two are the main archaeological issues in his presentation: a) finding of some Painted Grey Ware sherds, nothing less than in Bihar; and b) earliest datings of Northern Black Polished Ware in Middle Ganga Valley.
      >
      > Dr. Mani says that Painted Grey Ware sherds were found both at Juafardih, in excavations from 2006 to 2007, and at Ghorakatora in 2007 to 2008 by ASI archaeologists S.C. Saran and P.K. Mishra.
      >
      > Dr. Mani also mentions that the rich deposit of 10.61 m in Juafardih belonging to NBPW period has four C14 datings, 857 BC, 1002 BC, 1562 BC and 1259 BC, comparable to NBPW dates in Ayodhya, Agiabir, Rajdhani, Gotihwa and Jhusi. Maybe the third date is not consistent, but the other three clearly show the onset of NBPW in Middle Ganga Plain around 1000 BC. We must remember that J.M. Kenoyer, Giovani Verardi and Rakesh Tewari also support an earlier beginning of this culture, instead of Erdosy's classical view from around 550 BC.
      >
      > Dr. Mani's presentation at:
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/9xervem
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      > Carlos Aramayo