Re: 1962 Imperial rear axle

  • Tony Carter
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1 3:53 AM
      The springs you talk of are similar to the 'tramp rods' that hot rodders and street racers use to stop axle windup from a standing start. The ones thay use attach from the center 'U' bolts to tha front eye of the spring to stop the axle from twisting when' the pedal hits the metal', The Imperial ones attach to the top of the rear axle housing as Kenyon said, and fit to brackets on the floor pan forward of the axle, in effect they act as anti sway bars similar to the front one, and stop body roll around bends and corners, that's why these cars corner so flat at higher speeds, I've ridden in and driven many large American cars in my days, similar in size and weight to the Imperials and have to admit that these monsters would out corner the whole lot of them by far. After driving a friend's 66 Imperial coupe at speed through the hills of South Australia where I live, I had to have one of these cars, and couldn't get rid of my 65 Thunderbird quick enough, considering how low the T-Bird was and it's low center of gravity, it was like driving a large innerspring mattress by comparison, the Imp. rides and corners like nothing else !!

      Tony, 62 downunder, loving it and the looks it gets, the best one being, "Who made these mate"? my answer, "Imperial, just like the badge says"!
      They wander off still not knowing. He, He, snicker. (Jeez I hate myself sometimes) !!
    • PAUL WENTINK
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1 5:05 AM
        Nope, they came with them.

        Paul W.

        From: impcyclope2@...
        Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:26:08 -0700
        Subject: [Imperial-Club] 1962 Imperial rear axle

      • PAUL WENTINK
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1 5:08 AM
          These were first used in 1956 models and are on all Imperials at least
          built through 1966. They are absolutely necessary for the car to drive
          correctly. I haven't looked under the '68, so I don't know about those
          built after 1966, but it is a much different car.

          Paul W.

          Message 4 of 12 , May 12 5:16 PM
            The booster on my '62 Crown is not working and it's a one year only.
            Has anyone successfully changed to a later booster, such as the '65
            unit that's available. I'll rebuild this one, but I'm hoping to leave
            for Atlanta next Monday.
            Thanks,
            Roger
            Phoenix
          • MRS954@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , May 12 6:47 PM
              Roger,
              I just had my booster rebuilt through NAPA. They sent it to A1-Cardone in Philadelphia. It took a total of 5 days. The rebuild included the master cylinder, too. NAPA might have a local rebuilder in your area, might be worth a try.

              Mark Souders
              Mohrsville, PA

            • duckie26626@aol.com

                Message 7 of 12 , May 12 7:06 PM
                  That's a great price. Mine cost $218 with shipping.

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 12 8:37 PM
                    Thanks to all who offered input with my problem of finding a VIN on the
                    car frame. Turns out no one has found a VIN stamped on the frame of
                    these cars, even ones that have had frame-off restorations. I was
                    pointed in the direction of the engine number stamped on the frame a
                    bit ahead of the rear spring shackle. Fortunately, that number matched
                    the one stamped on the engine block, so I was able to pass my Level III
                    inspection and can go on to obtain the title. FYI for anyone who has
                    to undergo a similar rigorous inspection to satisfy their Motor
                    Vehicles people.
                    Cheers,
                    Roger