RE: [Imperial-Club] 69 Volatge Limiter

  • Sonny Moorehouse
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1 3:20 AM
      Wow you need to start with one thing at a time get that project done and then move on to the next one. Otherwise you will become overwhelmed. Patience is key.
    • Kenyon Wills
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1 8:04 AM
        I asked my parts man about them.  He said that there is a solid state one available, so I ordered 4 of them last night.

        There is a section on the club website under IMPFORMATIVE ARTICLES called GAGE RAGE about how to make up a solid state version for $3.  My lazy side dueled with my cheap side and lazy won.

        All of my fuselage cars have temp gauges that freak out when the headlights get turned on, and then they read about 30% higher.  I find this disconcerting and it really bothers my wife, although if you knew her you'd swear that she would be the last person to look at gauges.

        You can turn the lights out on the fly and watch the gauge drop within 30 seconds.

        I'm planning on luring a small child into the garage with candy to get my swaps done - if they can get their hand up there...

        I have a used dash out and can show them where/what.

        Kenyon Wills

        From: Elijah Scott <imperial1971@ yahoo.com>
        To: Imperial-Club@ yahoogroups. com
        Date: Thursday, April 30, 2009, 1:38 PM

        John - reaching the voltage limiter on the back of the dash can be a challenge. I have managed to replace it without removing the instrument cluster. It helps to remove the A/C tube that goes under the steering column, as well as the plastic panel under the steering column.

        The original voltage limiter may look a bit different than the replacement one. It lives on the back of the instrument cluster above the speedometer, near the "Check Gages" light.

        It's also easier to reach if you're triple jointed and have an extra elbow, but . . . we work with what we've got, right? LOL!

        Good luck!

        Elijah

        ____________ _________ _________ __
        Imperial Power Window Switch Repair

        Find Repair & Shop Manuals, Parts Books, History & More at The Imperial Bookshelf!

        My Collection of Imperials
        1965 Imperial LeBaron
        1970 Imperial LeBaron
        1971 Imperial LeBaron

        Be Green - Please consider the environment before printing this email.

        Message 3 of 8 , May 1 8:43 PM
          I was just looking in the parts book & now, Im really confused. It shows a voltage limiter AND a Sequential flasher relay with a condensor attached to one of the terminals. Both of them show on the circuit board. They both look pretty much the same in the parts book. I think the one I changed was for the turn signals. Probably the reason they won't work now & no power going to the panel lights.

          John