Re: [Imperial-Club] overheating 68

  • Klebert L. Hall
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1 3:28 AM
      Michael O. Mann wrote:

      > I am getting some bubbles intermittently, so a head gasket may be the
      > problem. However, the bubbles are not constant, and it seems odd that a
      > head gasket would fail with the car out of service. The valve in the
      > passenger side manifold appears to work freely. There is some "surge" in
      > water level. Does that hint toward a failing thermostat, or is that wishful
      > thinking?

      Replace the thermostat and see what happens. If it still gets hot,
      the radiator probably is full of deposits - that can happen while a car
      sits.

      -Kle.
      '69 Crown 4DHT
    • Bill P. of VT
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1 4:23 AM
        The thermostat is easy to remove; it may be worth it to remove the thermostat to test if this is it or if you have something else going on that is more serious. No noise from the water pump, right?

        Bill P.
        Colchester, Vermont
        In search of a '67/'68 Imperial

        To: Imperial-Club@yahoogroups.com
        From: crocuta@...
        Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 06:28:17 -0400
        Subject: Re: [Imperial-Club] overheating 68

        Michael O. Mann wrote:

        > I am getting some bubbles intermittently, so a head gasket may be the
        > problem. However, the bubbles are not constant, and it seems odd that a
        > head gasket would fail with the car out of service. The valve in the
        > passenger side manifold appears to work freely. There is some "surge" in
        > water level. Does that hint toward a failing thermostat, or is that wishful
        > thinking?

        Replace the thermostat and see what happens. If it still gets hot,
        the radiator probably is full of deposits - that can happen while a car
        sits.

        -Kle.
        '69 Crown 4DHT

        Test your Star IQ Play now!
      • PAUL WENTINK
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1 5:37 AM
          A stuck thermostat are broken/stuck impeller are the only things I have
          run across that would cause the car to overheat as quickly as you
          seemed to indicate. As others have said, easy fix on the thermostat.
          Your question about the possibility of a head gasket problem is a good
          one, and the answer is yes. a head gasket can deteriorate while the car
          is sitting. If it is leaking, it may have started before you owned the
          car and gotten worse. Even if that isn't causing the immediate
          overheating problem, it would contribute to it, and should be checked
          out. The bubbles sound suspicious.

          Head gasket troubles are not that unusual. Neglected cooling systems in
          old cars is common. In addition, few owners if anyone ever bothered to
          retorque the heads as part of regular maintenance. In those days it was
          still listed as part of the major tune up which was required at around
          50,000 miles.

          Without any other sign than a few bubbles, I wouldn't think that a
          blown head gasket would make the car overheat that quickly, unless it
          was really bad, and there were other symptoms of this problem as well.
          Good luck with this and don't be discouraged! Trouble shooting is only
          one major aspect of owning, driving, and enjoying an old car.

          Paul W.

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1 5:51 AM

            I’ll bet that after you replace the thermostat the bubbles you mentioned will also go away.  If coolant is at the boiling point somewhere in the system the bubbles will find their way to the highest point. (the radiator top-tank)  If you had a blown head gasket the engine would probably idle rough.  And the fact that compression gas is leaking into the cooling jacket doesn’t mean it would force the car to overheat.  It would definitely over pressure the cooling system and force the gas/air out the radiator cap.  But coolant would still circulate and the engine would stay at temperature.

            Ken

            67 Crown 4 Dr Ht

            68 LeBaron 4 Dr Ht

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1 7:30 AM

              Thanks all for the comments.  The car acts to me like a stuck thermostat, but I guess I was looking for a worst case.

              No noise from the water pump, but briefly, I thought I heard it.  With a closer look, the AC compressor was running ( I had turn on heat to help cool the car)!  Maybe this is another salvageable AutoTemp I.

              Will provide an update as soon as I can make a parts run and replace the thermostat.

              Again, thanks much for the feedback.  I really don’t want to pull the heads unnecessarily.

              Michael

                Check the Radiator for hot and cold spots. It may have gotten plugged up over the years. Run the car until warm, then shut it down and they run your hand over the radiator to see if there are cold spots. If so then you have probably found the problem or at least part of the problem. The cold spots would mean that no water is flowing.