Re: Imperial Readiness

  • tanakareizo
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 9, 2013
      > On 10/09/13, Ken Lang wrote:
      >
      > While hiking around one of the several water-falls we visited, one of our members suffered a couple of serious bee
      > stings. With all the stuff we collectively had in the caverns we call our trunks, only one of us had a first-aid-kit.

      That's a good idea!

      Forgive me though, for being an old grump here - what sort of first-aid intervention
      is there for a bee sting in between the modalities of "suck it up" and "needs an epi-pen" ?
      Maybe an ice-pack? Seems more like a comfort thing than a first-aid thing...

      In any case, glad to hear somebody had one, and good reminder.
      -Kle.
    • Andrew Hornback
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 9, 2013

        Ken, a couple of mainstays for any vehicle that I plan to drive more than a couple of miles from home include military surplus first aid kits and survival kits.

        Overkill, perhaps, but I'd rather be prepared for most any contingency short of requiring a high speed run to the closest emergency room.

        --- A

        On Oct 9, 2013 9:57 AM, "Ken Lang" <ken@...> wrote:

        Fellow Imperialists,

        This past weekend our local Imperial group fired up the 413’s and 440’s for a trip to Mt. Shasta.  It was a great 3 day weekend with lots of camaraderie amongst other Imperial owners.  We all like to think we are prepared for most any emergency that comes our way.  Personally I carry a large assortment of tools and various fluids to keep the Imperial going.  But it came to light this weekend that a good many of us are ill prepared for something more important.

        While hiking around one of the several water-falls we visited, one of our members suffered a couple of serious bee stings.  With all the stuff we collectively had in the caverns we call our trunks, only one of us had a first-aid-kit.

        So now at the top of my to-do list for the Imperial, is to stop by my local sporting goods chain and pick up an outdoor / wilderness rated first-aid-kit to put in the trunk with all the other emergency supplies.

        Ken

        68 LeBaron (ouch)

      • Marty Trendler
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 9, 2013
          What car group went to Mt Shasta? I wish I had known of it as I live in Red Bluff Ca and am seconds from the I-5 on ramp.
          Marty Trendler

          ------------------------------
          On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 8:49 AM PDT Andrew Hornback wrote:

          >Ken, a couple of mainstays for any vehicle that I plan to drive more than a
          >couple of miles from home include military surplus first aid kits and
          >survival kits.
          >
          >Overkill, perhaps, but I'd rather be prepared for most any contingency
          >short of requiring a high speed run to the closest emergency room.
          >
          >--- A
          >On Oct 9, 2013 9:57 AM, "Ken Lang" <ken@...> wrote:
          >
          >> **
          >>

          >> Fellow Imperialists,****
          >>
          >> ** **
          >>
          >> This past weekend our local Imperial group fired up the 413’s and 440’s
          >> for a trip to Mt. Shasta. It was a great 3 day weekend with lots of
          >> camaraderie amongst other Imperial owners. We all like to think we are
          >> prepared for most any emergency that comes our way. Personally I carry a
          >> large assortment of tools and various fluids to keep the Imperial going.
          >> But it came to light this weekend that a good many of us are ill prepared
          >> for something more important.****
          >>
          >> ** **
          >>
          >> While hiking around one of the several water-falls we visited, one of our
          >> members suffered a couple of serious bee stings. With all the stuff we
          >> collectively had in the caverns we call our trunks, only one of us had a
          >> first-aid-kit.****
          >>
          >> ** **
          >>
          >> So now at the top of my to-do list for the Imperial, is to stop by my
          >> local sporting goods chain and pick up an outdoor / wilderness rated
          >> first-aid-kit to put in the trunk with all the other emergency supplies.**
          >> **
          >>
          >> ** **
          >>
          >> Ken****
          >>
          >> 68 LeBaron (ouch)****
          >>
          >> ** **

        • Ken Lang
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 9, 2013

            Marty,

            It’s the Imperial Owners Association of Northern California (IOANC)  www.ioanc.com

            We’re about 80 members strong and try to go on driving tours at least once a month.  This was our annual Fall Tour which started on Friday and ended on Sunday.  We took lots of pictures and I plan to get them uploaded this weekend.  I’ll post a link once that’s done.

            Visit our website and / or contact me off list for more info about the things we do.

            Ken

            68 LeBaron

            What car group went to Mt Shasta? I wish I had known of it as I live in Red Bluff Ca and am seconds from the I-5 on ramp.
            Marty Trendler

            ------------------------------

            On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 8:49 AM PDT Andrew Hornback wrote:

            >Ken, a couple of mainstays for any vehicle that I plan to drive more than a
            >couple of miles from home include military surplus first aid kits and
            >survival kits.
            >
            >Overkill, perhaps, but I'd rather be prepared for most any contingency
            >short of requiring a high speed run to the closest emergency room.
            >
            >--- A
            >On Oct 9, 2013 9:57 AM, "Ken Lang" <ken@...> wrote:
            >
            >> **
            >>

            >> Fellow Imperialists,****
            >>
            >> ** **
            >>
            >> This past weekend our local Imperial group fired up the 413’s and 440’s
            >> for a trip to Mt. Shasta. It was a great 3 day weekend with lots of
            >> camaraderie amongst other Imperial owners. We all like to think we are
            >> prepared for most any emergency that comes our way. Personally I carry a
            >> large assortment of tools and various fluids to keep the Imperial going.
            >> But it came to light this weekend that a good many of us are ill prepared
            >> for something more important.****
            >>
            >> ** **
            >>
            >> While hiking around one of the several water-falls we visited, one of our
            >> members suffered a couple of serious bee stings. With all the stuff we
            >> collectively had in the caverns we call our trunks, only one of us had a
            >> first-aid-kit.****
            >>
            >> ** **
            >>
            >> So now at the top of my to-do list for the Imperial, is to stop by my
            >> local sporting goods chain and pick up an outdoor / wilderness rated
            >> first-aid-kit to put in the trunk with all the other emergency supplies.**
            >> **
            >>
            >> ** **
            >>
            >> Ken****
            >>
            >> 68 LeBaron (ouch)****
            >>
            >> ** **

          • Henk Uijttenhout
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 10, 2013
              Hello Ken, hello Club,

              If you don't live in that region, I can certainly recommend th IOANC calendar, Ken is already working on for next year. This month shows the beautiful '61 LeBaron of Dan Caruth.
              The website says: "The Imperial is considered the "flagship" of the Chrysler Corporation. Ownership of an Imperial is not a prerequisite". And you don't have to live there too.
              Very nice website, I should certainly join these meetings if I lived there. We don't have that many cars here to organize events like these. We just had our annual Dutch Chrysler USA Classic Cars Meeting on Sept. 22, which was a success. Henk from Holland

              To: Imperial-Club@yahoogroups.com

              What car group went to Mt Shasta? I wish I had known of it as I live in Red Bluff Ca and am seconds from the I-5 on ramp.
              Marty Trendler

              ------------------------------
              On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 8:49 AM PDT Andrew Hornback wrote:

              >Ken, a couple of mainstays for any vehicle that I plan to drive more than a
              >couple of miles from home include military surplus first aid kits and
              >survival kits.
              >
              >Overkill, perhaps, but I'd rather be prepared for most any contingency
              >short of requiring a high speed run to the closest emergency room.
              >
              >--- A
              >On Oct 9, 2013 9:57 AM, "Ken Lang" <ken@...> wrote:
              >
              >> **
              >>

              >> Fellow Imperialists,****
              >>
              >> ** **
              >>
              >> This past weekend our local Imperial group fired up the 413’s and 440’s
              >> for a trip to Mt. Shasta. It was a great 3 day weekend with lots of
              >> camaraderie amongst other Imperial owners. We all like to think we are
              >> prepared for most any emergency that comes our way. Personally I carry a
              >> large assortment of tools and various fluids to keep the Imperial going.
              >> But it came to light this weekend that a good many of us are ill prepared
              >> for something more important.****
              >>
              >> ** **
              >>
              >> While hiking around one of the several water-falls we visited, one of our
              >> members suffered a couple of serious bee stings. With all the stuff we
              >> collectively had in the caverns we call our trunks, only one of us had a
              >> first-aid-kit.****
              >>
              >> ** **
              >>
              >> So now at the top of my to-do list for the Imperial, is to stop by my
              >> local sporting goods chain and pick up an outdoor / wilderness rated
              >> first-aid-kit to put in the trunk with all the other emergency supplies.**
              >> **
              >>
              >> ** **
              >>
              >> Ken****
              >>
              >> 68 LeBaron (ouch)****
              >>
              >> ** **

            • Marty Trendler
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 15, 2013
                I'll just put this out their.
                Any one traveling through Northern California in there imperial and want to stop by to see my 1959 Imperial are welcome. Just contact me in advance or mention it on the list. Would love to meet more fellow Imperial enthusiasts. I live seconds from exit 650 on I5 in Red Bluff just south of Redding Ca.

                Marty Trendler
                1959 Imperial LeBaron Sedan
                Red Bluff Ca
              • Carl Kelsen Arlette Pat
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 15, 2013
                  Hi Marty & everyone else on the list,

                  Marty, I would most certainly like to take up your invitation to visit you and see your 1959 Imperial, should I make another visit to the United States. However after 17 trips to the USA, with each of these 17 trips lasting for at least 6 weeks duration (this year I was in the USA for just on 3 months!) I have in many ways really 'Seen the USA'.

                  My wife and I have over those 17 trips extensively driven all of your countries lower 48 states, driving rental cars over 40,000 miles. Given these facts, there is every possibility that I may never return to USA and may spend my hard earned international travel dollars exploring other countries. My wife was born in Paris so France is high on my list. My father was born in Norway so Norway's a close second.

                  Nevertheless, I have made many valued friendships during our many visits to the USA and being retired now I do have the flexibility to travel almost anytime. My doctor tells me that you have to pack in as much international travel as possible before your 70th birthday as after 70 travel insurance becomes expensive. My mother in law at 84 years old still travels internationally but I wonder for how much longer? Certainly we pay lots for her travel insurance. At a youthful 62 years old I think I still have another 10 years of international travel left in me.

                  You may recall that we purchased a very nice original metallic green 1959 Imperial Crown Southampton 4 door hardtop over eBay earlier this year (January 28, 2013). The eBay item number was  150981878178 but I feel certain that the listing will have long disappeared.

                  This '59 Imperial is very original with just 50,000 miles on it. I believe the low mileage as the condition of the original leather upholstery, comparatively clean engine bay and very correct trunk lining material all suggest low mileage.

                  The guy I purchased this '59 Imperial from was representing the owner, who I was told is a 100 year old lady. Like most people I would love to find out more history behind this car that I have purchased. The seller seems genuine enough and I am still in regular contact with him, however he's not a 'car guy' and knows little if anything about the cars past. He thinks the 100 year old lady purchased it when it was just 2 or 3 years old. My guess is that her husband was the 'car guy' but he pasted away over 25 years ago.

                  The cars licence plate frames have little hand made titles on them which read "1959 IMPERIAL". I think the 100 year lady's husband probably put these on and this suggests a more than casual interest in the car.

                  I have to believe that this '59 Imperial was known to Imperial or old car enthusiasts living near where it was garaged. Perhaps at one time in its past it may have been a regular attendee at car shows. Mind you I am told that prior to my purchase it had not been out of its garage for 25 years!

                  Currently it's in a shipping container on a Container Ship that's sailing towards Australia. We expect the Container Ship to arrive in Australia on October 31, and I should be able to take delivery of the Imperial once it has cleared Customs and Quarantine inspections. This will be about 7-9 days after that.

                  My question to you and perhaps the Imperial Group is: Does anyone by chance know anything about this low mileage metallic green 1959 Imperial Crown 4 door hardtops history? And if you do can you fill me in on some of this history?

                  Here's what I know to date:

                  PURCHASE LOCATION:

                  TURLOCK

                  CALIFORNIA 95381

                  UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

                  VEHICLE WAS STORED IN:

                  HUGHSON

                  CALIFORNIA 95326

                  UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

                  VEHICLE DETAILS:

                  Make:               Imperial

                  Model:              Crown South Hampton 4 door hardtop

                  Year:                1959

                  VIN:                  M637104567

                  BODY TYPE:    4DSOHPCR

                  COLOUR:         SILVERPINE

                  LICENCE:         CDB379 (Last tags in my hands were for the 1994 year but never put on).

                   HISTORY

                  The seller advised that the former owner is 100 years old, that she knew a one previous person but could not recall any names.

                  From around November 9 this '59 Imperial will be a permanent Australian resident.

                  Hope someone can help me establish some more of the cars history?

                  Regards from 'down under'

                  Carl L. Kelsen

                  Telephone:        61 3 9701 0884 (Australia)

                  Email:               arlettecarl@...