Re: [Imperial-Club] whitewall tires for 62-65 Imperials

  • John Reaney
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 16 9:14 AM
      I found a close ww at pep boys, since I do not drive my 63 coupe any distances , they serve the purpose.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jul 16, 2013, at 9:36 AM, Cristopher Rank <cnr717@...> wrote:

      > I have been trying to find a tire to duplicate the original whitewall width for my 64s without the expense of the Diamondbacks. Coker owns the moulds for the "American Classic" which they sell in 235/15 with a 1.6 inch WW width for 70s Cadillacs, etc. At $165 is a lot cheaper than the Diamondback. I called them to ask if they could make it in a 1" width spaced 1" from the wheel. A guy I talked to said it would be possible to do if they got a fairly large commitment. Their factory accepts minimum orders of 200 tires, so they might do it if more than half were sold in advance. Would this appeal to others in the 62-65 year range?
      >
      > Cris Rank
      > St. Louis, MO
      >
      > 1964 Imperial LeBaron
      > 1964 Imperial Crown Coupe
      > 1964 Imperial Crown Convertible
      > 1969 Imperial LeBaron 2dr Hardtop

    • John Reaney
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 16 9:19 AM
        I got my Coopers for my 63at pep boys here in Nashville
        John. 63 coupe
        Sent from my iPhone

        On Jul 16, 2013, at 10:52 AM, Christopher H <imperial67@...> wrote:

        > I think Mick means Cooper Tires, not copper.
        >
        > Chris in LA
        > 67 Crown
        >
        > On 7/16/13 8:30 AM, "Mick Owens" <micowens53@...> wrote:
        >

        > > Might check your local copper tire retailer. I just bought 4 225r75x15 with
        > > one inch white walls for $350. Mounted balanced and new valve stems and
        > > installed with road hazard.
        > >
        > > Mick Owens
        > >
        > > Sent from my iPhone
        > >
        > > On Jul 16, 2013, at 9:36, Cristopher Rank <cnr717@...
        > > <mailto:cnr717%40sbcglobal.net> > wrote:
        > >
        > >> I have been trying to find a tire to duplicate the original whitewall width
        > >> for my 64s without the expense of the Diamondbacks. Coker owns the moulds
        > >> for the "American Classic" which they sell in 235/15 with a 1.6 inch WW width
        > >> for 70s Cadillacs, etc. At $165 is a lot cheaper than the Diamondback. I
        > >> called them to ask if they could make it in a 1" width spaced 1" from the
        > >> wheel. A guy I talked to said it would be possible to do if they got a
        > >> fairly large commitment. Their factory accepts minimum orders of 200 tires,
        > >> so they might do it if more than half were sold in advance. Would this
        > >> appeal to others in the 62-65 year range?
        > >>
        > >> Cris Rank
        > >> St. Louis, MO
        > >>
        > >> 1964 Imperial LeBaron
        > >> 1964 Imperial Crown Coupe
        > >> 1964 Imperial Crown Convertible
        > >> 1969 Imperial LeBaron 2dr Hardtop

      • Deter Balough
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 16 9:24 AM
          I have shopped around and even went on the internet just looking for whitewall tires for my Chryslers and Imperials. They are just not out there anymore, except the outline white-letter things for hotrods. I don't think these look right on a large luxury car, and the idea of paying big money for something that used to be standard fare is not very appealing either. The Vogue tire is a good option and are quite attractive. I can remember them from the old days, and had a set on one of my cars. There again, mighty expensive. If you just want to drive your car and enjoy it, then blackwalls fill the bill. For show purposes, you are stuck with what is offered.

          --- In Imperial-Club@yahoogroups.com, Christopher H <imperial67@...> wrote:

          > I think Mick means Cooper Tires, not copper.
          >
          > Chris in LA
          > 67 Crown
          >

          > On 7/16/13 8:30 AM, "Mick Owens" <micowens53@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Might check your local copper tire retailer. I just bought 4 225r75x15 with
          > > one inch white walls for $350. Mounted balanced and new valve stems and
          > > installed with road hazard.
          > >
          > > Mick Owens
          > >
          > > Sent from my iPhone
          > >
          > > On Jul 16, 2013, at 9:36, Cristopher Rank <cnr717@...
          > > <mailto:cnr717%40sbcglobal.net> > wrote:
          > >
          > >> I have been trying to find a tire to duplicate the original whitewall width
          > >> for my 64s without the expense of the Diamondbacks. Coker owns the moulds
          > >> for the "American Classic" which they sell in 235/15 with a 1.6 inch WW width
          > >> for 70s Cadillacs, etc. At $165 is a lot cheaper than the Diamondback. I
          > >> called them to ask if they could make it in a 1" width spaced 1" from the
          > >> wheel. A guy I talked to said it would be possible to do if they got a
          > >> fairly large commitment. Their factory accepts minimum orders of 200 tires,
          > >> so they might do it if more than half were sold in advance. Would this
          > >> appeal to others in the 62-65 year range?
          > >>
          > >> Cris Rank
          > >> St. Louis, MO
          > >>
          > >> 1964 Imperial LeBaron
          > >> 1964 Imperial Crown Coupe
          > >> 1964 Imperial Crown Convertible
          > >> 1969 Imperial LeBaron 2dr Hardtop

        • fedkiller
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 16 9:33 AM
            I have heard it both ways.  They supposedly came out in the 66 model year, but I have photos of mine in late 65 wearing the triple whites.  Now I'm not sure which way it's supposed to be.   I know that my car was a dealer demo and according to the second owner my car had about 4000 miles on it when it sold in 1966.  He claims it wasn't odd for a dealer to add options to a car that came out on newer models to make the older ones still sitting on the lot look like the newer ones. To be honest the only ones that are going to know for sure is the group here and a few old timers that remember the cars when new.

            Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™III, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphonecarlvandewalker <carl@...> wrote:In reply to ww tires , when did the triple wall tires come out on the Imperial? I have sales brochures showing my '65 with them from the factory.

            --- In Imperial-Club@yahoogroups.com, Bill P <rebooks@...> wrote:

            > Greetings! After a long break, I'm working on my car again. The most immediate item to get the car to pass inspection is to repair the back-up lights. They were working until recently then neither worked. I confirmed that the bulbs are good, so based on a quick search of members' posts, it culprit may be the switch that's mounted on the steering column. The coverage of this in the shop manual is in the steering column section -not the electrical section. Anyway, in the shop manual the back-up light removal is dealt with as part of the steering column removal (after the entire column is removed from the car!) I believe I see where the switch is: close to the base of the column where it meets the fire wall. Of course, it's on the (harder to reach) top side of the column. Has anyone had to deal with these switches? Did you remove the entire column? Am I missing any other diagnostic before I cross that Rubicon?
            >
            > I would ignore the whole thing except that in Vermont cars must be inspected annually -and back-up lights are part of that. Thanks for any help! ~Bill

          • fedkiller
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 16 3:52 PM
              You can get a set of 235/75/15 WW tires with a one inch WW mounted and balanced for about $80 a tire.  Load rated for 2058 pounds.  Cheap solution
              for a good set of cooper tires for an Imperial on a budget.

              Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™III, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphoneDeter Balough <jagster911@...> wrote:I have shopped around and even went on the internet just looking for whitewall tires for my Chryslers and Imperials. They are just not out there anymore, except the outline white-letter things for hotrods. I don't think these look right on a large luxury car, and the idea of paying big money for something that used to be standard fare is not very appealing either. The Vogue tire is a good option and are quite attractive. I can remember them from the old days, and had a set on one of my cars. There again, mighty expensive. If you just want to drive your car and enjoy it, then blackwalls fill the bill. For show purposes, you are stuck with what is offered.

              --- In Imperial-Club@yahoogroups.com, Christopher H <imperial67@...> wrote:

              > I think Mick means Cooper Tires, not copper.
              >
              > Chris in LA
              > 67 Crown
              >

              > On 7/16/13 8:30 AM, "Mick Owens" <micowens53@...> wrote:
              >

              > > Might check your local copper tire retailer. I just bought 4 225r75x15 with
              > > one inch white walls for $350. Mounted balanced and new valve stems and
              > > installed with road hazard.
              > >
              > > Mick Owens
              > >
              > > Sent from my iPhone
              > >
              > > On Jul 16, 2013, at 9:36, Cristopher Rank <cnr717@...
              > > <mailto:cnr717%40sbcglobal.net> > wrote:
              > >
              > >> I have been trying to find a tire to duplicate the original whitewall width
              > >> for my 64s without the expense of the Diamondbacks. Coker owns the moulds
              > >> for the "American Classic" which they sell in 235/15 with a 1.6 inch WW width
              > >> for 70s Cadillacs, etc. At $165 is a lot cheaper than the Diamondback. I
              > >> called them to ask if they could make it in a 1" width spaced 1" from the
              > >> wheel. A guy I talked to said it would be possible to do if they got a
              > >> fairly large commitment. Their factory accepts minimum orders of 200 tires,
              > >> so they might do it if more than half were sold in advance. Would this
              > >> appeal to others in the 62-65 year range?
              > >>
              > >> Cris Rank
              > >> St. Louis, MO
              > >>
              > >> 1964 Imperial LeBaron
              > >> 1964 Imperial Crown Coupe
              > >> 1964 Imperial Crown Convertible
              > >> 1969 Imperial LeBaron 2dr Hardtop

            • Tom Hubbard
              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 16 5:30 PM
                This topic does surface from time to time. As an alternate to the triple-stripe whitewalls I think a single-stripe, narrow whitewall is perfectly okay. The appearance is correct for replacement tires of the period. That is, if your '68 needed new tires in '70 or '71 you could very properly have replaced the triple-stripes with single-stripe whitewalls. If you're serious about competing in the concours, then sure, look for 100% authenticity, but for us plebeians a 3/4" or 1" stripe will do nicely.

                Subject: RE: [Imperial-Club] Re: whitewall tires?
                To: Imperial-Club@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 6:52 PM

                <micowens53@...> wrote:

                > > Might check your local copper tire retailer. I
                just bought 4 225r75x15 with

                > > one inch white walls for $350. Mounted balanced
                and new valve stems and

                > > installed with road hazard.

                > > Mick Owens

                > > Sent from my iPhone

                > > On Jul 16, 2013, at 9:36, Cristopher Rank
                <cnr717@...

                > > <mailto:cnr717%40sbcglobal.net> > wrote:

                > >> I have been trying to find a tire to duplicate
                the original whitewall width

                > >> for my 64s without the expense of the
                Diamondbacks. Coker owns the moulds

                > >> for the "American Classic" which
                they sell in 235/15 with a 1.6 inch WW width

                > >> for 70s Cadillacs, etc. At $165 is a lot
                cheaper than the Diamondback. I

                > >> called them to ask if they could make it in a
                1" width spaced 1" from the

                > >> wheel. A guy I talked to said it would be
                possible to do if they got a

                > >> fairly large commitment. Their factory accepts
                minimum orders of 200 tires,

                > >> so they might do it if more than half were
                sold in advance. Would this

                > >> appeal to others in the 62-65 year range?

                > >> Cris Rank

                > >> St. Louis, MO

                > >> 1964 Imperial LeBaron

                > >> 1964 Imperial Crown Coupe

                > >> 1964 Imperial Crown Convertible

                > >> 1969 Imperial LeBaron 2dr Hardtop

                > >> [Non-text portions of this message have been
                removed]

                removed]

              • C Bilter
                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 16 8:48 PM
                  I think that the original poster was looking for a whitewall rather precisely around 1”. The Cooper tires are an excellent value but actually are only 3/4” which is not 1”.
                  You can get a set of 235/75/15 WW tires with a one inch WW mounted and balanced for about $80 a tire. Load rated for 2058 pounds. Cheap solution
                  for a good set of cooper tires for an Imperial on a budget.

                  Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™III, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphoneDeter Balough <mailto:jagster911%40bellsouth.net> wrote:I have shopped around and even went on the internet just looking for whitewall tires for my Chryslers and Imperials. They are just not out there anymore, except the outline white-letter things for hotrods. I don't think these look right on a large luxury car, and the idea of paying big money for something that used to be standard fare is not very appealing either. The Vogue tire is a good option and are quite attractive. I can remember them from the old days, and had a set on one of my cars. There again, mighty expensive. If you just want to drive your car and enjoy it, then blackwalls fill the bill. For show purposes, you are stuck with what is offered.

                  --- In mailto:Imperial-Club%40yahoogroups.com, Christopher H <imperial67@...> wrote:

                  > I think Mick means Cooper Tires, not copper.
                  >
                  > Chris in LA
                  > 67 Crown
                  >

                  > On 7/16/13 8:30 AM, "Mick Owens" <micowens53@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > > Might check your local copper tire retailer. I just bought 4 225r75x15 with
                  > > one inch white walls for $350. Mounted balanced and new valve stems and
                  > > installed with road hazard.
                  > >
                  > > Mick Owens
                  > >
                  > > Sent from my iPhone
                  > >
                  > > On Jul 16, 2013, at 9:36, Cristopher Rank <cnr717@...
                  > > <mailto:cnr717%40sbcglobal.net> > wrote:
                  > >
                  > >> I have been trying to find a tire to duplicate the original whitewall width
                  > >> for my 64s without the expense of the Diamondbacks. Coker owns the moulds
                  > >> for the "American Classic" which they sell in 235/15 with a 1.6 inch WW width
                  > >> for 70s Cadillacs, etc. At $165 is a lot cheaper than the Diamondback. I
                  > >> called them to ask if they could make it in a 1" width spaced 1" from the
                  > >> wheel. A guy I talked to said it would be possible to do if they got a
                  > >> fairly large commitment. Their factory accepts minimum orders of 200 tires,
                  > >> so they might do it if more than half were sold in advance. Would this
                  > >> appeal to others in the 62-65 year range?
                  > >>
                  > >> Cris Rank
                  > >> St. Louis, MO
                  > >>
                  > >> 1964 Imperial LeBaron
                  > >> 1964 Imperial Crown Coupe
                  > >> 1964 Imperial Crown Convertible
                  > >> 1969 Imperial LeBaron 2dr Hardtop

                • Peter Cunniff
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 17 5:41 AM
                    I had no trouble getting a set of 1-inchers for my '67 Crown a few years
                    ago. I believe that they were Hankook Optimas.

                    Peter Cunniff

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 17 6:39 AM
                      I found Hankooks for my '68 Newport (quite a challenge to find narrow-stripe, 14" whitewalls) and I've been very happy with the ride and handling.

                      To: Imperial-Club@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Wednesday, July 17, 2013, 8:41 AM

                      wrote:

                      > **
                      > I think that the original poster was looking for a
                      whitewall rather precisely around 1”. The Cooper tires are an
                      excellent value but actually are only 3/4” which is not 1”.

                      smartphoneDeter Balough

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 17 8:51 AM
                        Parenthetical note: our 2013 Ford Flex also came with Hankook Optimas.

                      • retromobilia@...
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 17 12:05 PM
                          What ever happened to the 235/75-14 tires we have been waiting for from Diamond-Back
                          John

                          Parenthetical note: our 2013 Ford Flex also came with Hankook Optimas.