Re: '68 Imperial dash project lighting update

  • Joseph
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2013
      Norm;

      You have done a great job of documenting your work. Others will benefit from your efforts. The pictures show the difficulties involved in removing the AC control head unit for repair and replacement of the hidden lamp. Can you imagine the cost to a customer just for replacing the lamp years ago? What a job!

      I think you are right to replace such lamps with LED replacements. The difficulty of access to replace the lamp in the AC control head is a perfect example of a way to improve on the original design and increase reliability just by replacing an incandescent lamp with a solid state LED.

      On the chance of loosing one of the plastic bezel attachment screws into the AC vents, it might be a good idea to put some blue painter's tape over the vent openings while removing or installing the control head in the car. That should keep falling screws from getting into the AC vent system. Blue painter's tape could also be placed over the bronze trim to help protect it from scratches while removing or installing. I shudder to think how difficult it would be to retrieve the screws if they did fall into one of the vents. If the screws are steel, it might be possible to drop a small magnet suspended on a string into the vent to recover the errant screw, but there are no guarantees that it would be successful. Do I hear a Bronx cheer for tearing into the AC duct work?

      Helping one another avoid the pit-falls of work situations on these cars is one of the best things about this club and the e-mail distribution.

      Good luck!

      Joe
    • Norman C. Witte
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2013
        Joe, thanks for the suggestions. In this case I just pulled the bronze off
        because that's part of the project anyway, but it bears the scars of
        previous repair attempts, as does the top of my steering column. The shop
        manual says to tape it off, but I don't think previous service personnel
        bothered with that. Another suggestion from this list that I am going to
        follow is to tape off my instrument cluster lens with electrical tape before
        installing the panel. No need to scratch that, either.

        Norm Witte

        Lansing, Michigan

        1968 Imperial Crown 4-dr hardtop

        1965 Corvair Corsa 180 HP convertible

        1965 Corvair Corsa 140 HP coupe

        1963 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight Holiday Sports Sedan

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2013
          Norm,

          Please watch using electrical tape. The adhesive on the tape came and will
          leave a nasty residue. Either use masking tape or Phase marking electrical
          tape with white being the best color to use. I have over 40 years of
          experience in the electrical construction industry.

          Mick

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 5, 2013
            I went to O'Reillys for some wax and asked If they had a light switch for a
            68 Imperial and to my surpise they had one . My tail , side, and parking
            lighs were out.my
            Grandson pulled the switch and the one from O'Reillys wasn't the same.so he
            cleand the contacts with Amonia,and they all came.on My Dash lights were
            also out.i had made an appointment to have the dash lights replaced with Led
            lights at at $80.00 an hr.He cleaned the dimmer switch with Amonia and I now
            have Dash lights,so I am a happy camper Farlan Dubarry 68 Crown Imperial
            Convertible
            +