1956 Imperial

  • vmstar
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
      Hey everyone,
      Is there a place on the Yahoo Groups to place cars for sale (1956)? I
      get alot of virus warnings fom the On-line Imperial Club Site. Oh buy
      the way, I replaced the rear oil seal on my 56. I bought a $3.00 seal
      puller and it worked great. If you ever need one go online (auto-zone)
      to find the tool. Worked awesome!!!! Thought it would be a nightmare
      and it turned out to be one of the easiest jobs this year.

      Thanks
      Tim
      Bakersfield Ca
      1956 Imperial
      2-door
    • Sonny Moorehouse
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
        Why dont you post pictures on the yahoo site ? it is easy and everyone can see them

        Sincerly           Sonny Moorehouse
      • ybshore@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
          Tim,

              Have you found yet another project car?  You do such wonderful work...

          Jack

          In a message dated 8/1/2008 3:11:07 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, t.hulse@... writes:

          Hey everyone,
          Is there a place on the Yahoo Groups to place cars for sale (1956)? I
          get alot of virus warnings fom the On-line Imperial Club Site. Oh buy
          the way, I replaced the rear oil seal on my 56. I bought a $3.00 seal
          puller and it worked great. If you ever need one go online (auto-zone)
          to find the tool. Worked awesome!!!! Thought it would be a nightmare
          and it turned out to be one of the easiest jobs this year.

          Thanks
          Tim
          Bakersfield Ca
          1956 Imperial
          2-door

        • Ron Stephenson
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
            Hello, hey, don't overlook craigslist for selling stuff and they serve just about every community.  Great outfit, and free!  Next to that, the most exposure is Ebay, and yes, they do charge, but you get the best sales coverage of all.  Lastly, try your local 'shopper papers', they really work on old car selling.  good luck. Hey, is it a two door hardtop?

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
              I am a computer idiot .  I can not open pictures on Yahoo. One more set of user namer and pass word to remember or in my case forget.  The OIC classified section would reach more people. Eric

            • Keefe Milan
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008

                Good day,

                   I'm trying to change my headlamp and wiper switch but don't have a clue as to getting the knob and stems off. Can anyone help me?

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
                  Well, on the light switch, they are attached from the back, and I think there is a small button on the switch housing that needs to be pressed in, and while holding it in, you can pull the switch knob and shaft out of the front.  Then you can undo the nut holding the switch assembly in and remove it from the back.  I am not familiar with the wiper switch and if you can send me a picture, I can probably figure that one out too....ron  You may not get this as it is going to the group, and if you want to private message me, you can try jagster911@...  sorry.----- Original Message -----
                  Sent: Friday, August 01, 2008 10:21 AM

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
                    Do you have a service manual? If not, try the club maintenance archives. It has the downloads of the maintenance manual available.

                    I have a '55 - and two copies of the service manual. Our cars' instrument panels are substantially the same, aside from the transmission selector mechanisms.  If you can't find what you need, let me know and I will pdf the appropriate pages to you.

                    Charley
                    303.888.9043

                    On 01/08/2008, Keefe Milan <keefe_milan52@...> wrote:

[...]

                    Charles T. Cleaver, II
                  • Rob van der Es
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
                      Hi Keefe,

                      If it is the same kind of headlightswitch as used in a 60 Imp you have to look for a small button on the body of the switch (somewhere between the electrical connections on the switch body).
                      Press the little button (and keep it pressed in..) and you will be able to remove the knob and stem.

                      Good luck,

                      Rob

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
                        1955 and 1956 have a knob in the dash that turns to the right to activate the headlights. There is also one for the wipers.

                        I usually would hesitate to post when I am not sure, but here goes. I have had my car for over 35 years, and for some reason I believe that the knob has a set screw in the bottom to remove it. This should be an easy thing to determine. I haven't ever taken mine out, but if this is true, then I suspect that there is a nut behind the knob holding the switch in the dash.

                        You may have to remove the chrome ring around the knob to get to the set screw. I believe that the ring can be unscrewed from the dash.

                        Again, even though I have owned my car for years I haven't taken any of this apart. It all still works fine, but for some reason my feeble brain is telling me that this is how they go.

                        Good luck!

                        Paul W.

                      • george.thompson3@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
                          I have a "55. On the bottom of the knobs the is an Allen Wrench set screw.

                          From: Keefe Milan <keefe_milan52@...>

                          Good day,

                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 2, 2008
                            Be careful here, 1955 and 1956 Imperial headlight switches are not like other cars.

                            Paul W.

                            Well, on the light switch, they are attached from the back, and I think there is a small button on the switch housing that needs to be pressed in, and while holding it in, you can pull the switch knob and shaft out of the front.  Then you can undo the nut holding the switch assembly in and remove it from the back.  I am not familiar with the wiper switch and if you can send me a picture, I can probably figure that one out too....ron  You may not get this as it is going to the group, and if you want to private message me, you can try jagster911@bellsout h.net  sorry.----- Original Message -----
                            Sent: Friday, August 01, 2008 10:21 AM

                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 2, 2008
                              That is what I was thinking as well. I may have a chance to go over to the garage and check both the '55 and the '56 today. If so, I will write back. As per my original post, I think you nailed it.

                              Paul W.

                              I have a "55. On the bottom of the knobs the is an Allen Wrench set screw.

                              From: Keefe Milan <keefe_milan52@ yahoo.com>
                              Good day,

                            • mopar413@charter.net
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 2, 2008
                                Head light switch has a button on the bottom of the switch that has to be pushed in then pull out the knob. Wiper has a allen screw.