Re: [Imperial-Club] Foil pad in engine

  • Joe Machado
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 1, 2012
      That pad consists two pads. I used to sell them and they were the slowest item selling that we had reproduced. To do a proper Chrysler-Imperial restoration, this one is always elimanated in the precess. Believe it or not, I NEVER sold one.
         I do not have all the years of application and never looked up a part number, if one exists. If any are available and you do want it for the original correctness, it is Performance Car Graphics in Tallahassee, Fl.
         I was going to Carlisle this week and with the flood in Fla and the turbo failure on my Dodge Diesel, I am not. But, I got an email and phone call from David and he said he will be there. I would bet he will NOT be bringing any of those unless someone asked specifically. Phone # in case: 850 878 1450 . He may answer and is loud and up front with information. He has been doing this for at least 30 years or so. I helped him get this business started back when we met in about 76 or 78.
         Also, any of the correct decals you need that are correct for your car, be it an Imperial, Chrysler, or any of the other Mopar cars and trucks, he has and or will make. He is the only Chrysler-Mopar Approved reproducer of such products. All others are doing so without Chrysler approval. He is very particular on all aspects of the reproduction process. It must be exact as original. I had some "Repros" from a company called Osborn's and they were the wrong size, wrong shade of colors and the print was not all legible. As if the ink supply to make was not in the machine to print all the words. Or a dirty screen. Just whatever the reason for having a poor decal to me, is not acceptable. The reason for not pursuing to make better was, "Well, they are buying them". Poor excuse as I see it.  Anyway, there you have it, the Aluminum Foil packs, or Insulators, I really do not remember their specific name that Lady Mopar gave them, has excaped me, as I am
      older than sand now,  joe machado

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 1, 2012
        Another source if your interested - type "insulation" in the Search For box. http://www.billrolikenterprises.com/search.asp Stephen
        To: Imperial-Club@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 1, 2012
          Joe, thank you for taking the time to answer my question on the foil pad. The one that came out of the engine is old and broken apart. I probably will put the engine back together without it and not worry about it.

          Dan

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 1, 2012
            Thanks!

            To: Imperial-Club@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 1, 2012
              We did it! 2200 rally miles in 9 days, around the Great Lakes, competing against seasoned pros and rookies, most with more nimble rides. But NO XQS makes no excuse for getting us all the way through with no problems other than the demon-possesed center-plane brakes. I hope that if you all found time to follow the blog, that you found it worth your time. This Great Race surely was worthwhile for me! And now, the 600 mile haul home.

              Jc '61 Crown convertible
            • Fred Joslin
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 2, 2012
                My 1966 Newport had one of these pads that I did not replace when I rebuilt the heads.
                I thought that all big blocks had them from the factory. Could be wrong?

                Fred Joslin

                ________________________________

              • retromobilia@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 2, 2012
                  Are the pads under the manifold a heat shield? Chrysler engineers had some reason for implementing them. Certainly not to add weight!?
                  If so it would be likely that they would be more useful with the modern pump fuel. I the race car all the fuel lines are shielded to keep the fuel as cool as possible. Like the intercooler on the turbo because of the volatile alcohol and modern additives especially in our old open air low pressure system.
                  I would shield the carb and manifold with two pads.....The evaporation of the volatile fuel in the older open vented system is the main cause of hard starting after a long run or storage. Unknown if it will help at all buy what cost to try.

                  J D Jung
                  Retromobilia.net

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 2, 2012
                    The word I had years ago that the 2 foil pads under the intake were for lifter noise and only on cars such as Imperials, New Yorkers, etc. Not on Muscle cars. joe machado

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 2, 2012
                      Joe, I have an IMP 57 and not gotten that far yet. But would you exclude letter cars in your list. They have a lot of lifter noise. I would like to lessen any engine noise in my cars. What type of pads were they or what could we use today and how were they attached (or kept from blowing out)?
                      I hate when someone puts glass packs on a luxurious New Yorker or IMP for that matter. It is like external continental kits, not all cars had them or loud mufflers in the days.

                      PS: FYI: I am not found of the Muscle Car fad. I have gotten my kicks in real race cars on racing tracks made for the purpose or in closed event hi-ways and not on the freeway where any one is likely to ruin your day.

                      J D Jung
                      Retromobilia.net

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 2, 2012
                        I have made a couple out of standard fiberglass insulation and heavy aluminum foil. It would be difficult if not impossible for one to come out from under there.

                        Steve B.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 2, 2012
                          These pads were a "Tappet Silencer Package", installed on all B/B engines except the 426 from 1959 up. PN 1879747.

                          Chris

                          To: Imperial-Club@yahoogroups.com
                          From: spicemanii@...
                          Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 08:36:05 -0700