Electrical Issues

  • bhardrick@wi.rr.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2012
      Hi All

      Still working through my electrical issues but I think that I am making some progress. The one thing that I discovered is that the new alternator that I purchased is completely dead now, which leads me to believe it was not strong enough in the first place to run this car (65 w/413). My plan is to remove the alternator and make sure that it is wired up correctly. Would anyone have access to a wiring diagram for this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    • Ken Lang
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2012
        Is the alternator actually new? Or is it from your local O’reilly’s or Napa store. Chances are, it’s a rebuilt unit and many of them are dead out of the box or live a very short life once the box is open. Granted, they all have their guarantees, but usually you have to go through several of them to find a good one.

        When you start dealing with the electrical system on your car you should have a good volt meter and a good amp-clamp to work with. Electricity is invisible, there is no way to accurately know what is happening in your system without these tools.

        Ken

        68 LeBaron (charging)

        Still working through my electrical issues but I think that I am making some progress. The one thing that I discovered is that the new alternator that I purchased is completely dead now, which leads me to believe it was not strong enough in the first place to run this car (65 w/413). My plan is to remove the alternator and make sure that it is wired up correctly. Would anyone have access to a wiring diagram for this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

      • Scott Sommers
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2012
          If possible I would check the alternator with a voltage meter. If its putting out 13+ volts its fine. If it is working then I would take the cables off and clean them very good, then coat them with Dialectric jelly...tune up grease.....and then start tracing wires. If the alternator fails I would take it back and most store have a machine to check them off the car and see what voltage its putting out. If you replace it I would have them test the new one prior to leaving the store.

          Scott Sommers
          1965 Crown Coupe

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2012
            It is a reman from O'Reilly. I plan to take it and the starter off this weekend and use that warranty to go through their inventory as you mentioned below. Thanks for the feedback