Manifold Heat riser valve: Which way is OPEN?

  • watchfatha
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2012
      Hello all.
      On my 64 Imperial, the heat riser valve is workable and moves fairly freely, but the spring is broken. Until I replace it I would like to hav it held in the "open" position, meaning all exhaust gasses are directed through the pipe and towards the mufflers on that side, not through the passage in the intake manifold. Which way is open? Counterweight pulled forward (clockwise), or counterweight pushed backwards (counter-clockwise).
      Thanks
      Norm
    • Gary Kitterman
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2012
        If it's like the '56 you want to have the counter weight forward. You can double check by holding your hand over the passenger side exhaust to see if exhaust flow is reduced with counter weight back. This assumes the heat riser valve is installed with the weight outboard.

        Gary Kitterman
        '56 C-73 "Babe"

        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2012
          Watch it when you rev the engine. If it is free, it will move to the open position when the engine is rev'ed. If is isn't free enough to do this test, lube it up until it is nearly frictionless. The spring holds it closed when the car is cold and at low idle.

          Paul W.

          On my 64 Imperial, the heat riser valve is workable and moves fairly freely, but the spring is broken. Until I replace it I would like to hav it held in the "open" position, meaning all exhaust gasses are directed through the pipe and towards the mufflers on that side, not through the passage in the intake manifold. Which way is open? Counterweight pulled forward (clockwise), or counterweight pushed backwards (counter-clockwise).
          Thanks
          Norm

        • Rob Kidd
          Message 4 of 10 , May 3, 2012
            Turn the valve clockwise to open it. Rob Kidd
            61/65

            Message 5 of 10 , May 3, 2012
              NOTED with APPRECIATION.
              What kind of lube do you use? Years ago Chrysler made an aerosol can with lubricant specifically for that purpose. I cannot find it anymore. What do you normally use now that does not leave a residue?
              Thanks
              Norm

              --- In Imperial-Club@yahoogroups.com, Paul Wentink <randalpark@...> wrote:

              > Watch it when you rev the engine. If it is free, it will move to the open position when the engine is rev'ed. If is isn't free enough to do this test, lube it up until it is nearly frictionless. The spring holds it closed when the car is cold and at low idle.
              >
              > Paul W.

            • Richard A. DeVito Sr
              Message 6 of 10 , May 3, 2012
                Probably graphite. It's for locks. You spray it on and the solvents dry leaving the graphite behind. It won't burn.

                Richard A. De Vito Sr

                ________________________________

                --- In Imperial-Club@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Imperial-Club%40yahoogroups.com> , Paul Wentink <randalpark@...> wrote:

                > Watch it when you rev the engine. If it is free, it will move to the open position when the engine is rev'ed. If is isn't free enough to do this test, lube it up until it is nearly frictionless. The spring holds it closed when the car is cold and at low idle.
                >
                > Paul W.

              • hot rod
                Message 7 of 10 , May 3, 2012
                  Chrysler Mopar Parts still makes the lubricant. It is now called Rust Penetrant, part number 4318039AB (the last two letters can change, but is still the same product). I just bought some within the last month. May be one of the best chemicals for freeing rusted fasteners, as well as for it's original use.
                  Mark

                  ________________________________
                  What kind of lube do you use? Years ago Chrysler made an aerosol can with lubricant specifically for that purpose. I cannot find it anymore. What do you normally use now that does not leave a residue?
                  Thanks
                  Norm

                  --- In Imperial-Club@yahoogroups.com, Paul Wentink <randalpark@...> wrote:

                  > Watch it when you rev the engine. If it is free, it will move to the open position when the engine is rev'ed. If is isn't free enough to do this test, lube it up until it is nearly frictionless. The spring holds it closed when the car is cold and at low idle.
                  >
                  > Paul W.

                • watchfatha
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 3, 2012
                    Thanks, Mark. Happy to know it is still made.
                    Norm

                    --- In Imperial-Club@yahoogroups.com, hot rod <michiganhotrod1@...> wrote:

                    > Chrysler Mopar Parts still makes the lubricant. It is now called Rust Penetrant, part number 4318039AB (the last two letters can change, but is still the same product). I just bought some within the last month. May be one of the best chemicals for freeing rusted fasteners, as well as for it's original use.
                    > Mark
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Paul Wentink
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 4, 2012
                      I would use liquid wrench or lock ease around the pivots while the engine is cold while working the valve as you apply the lubricant. Liquid wrench will travel along the shaft faster than lock ease and would be better for freeing up the valve. Lock ease has graphite in it which would continue to provide lubrication after it "burns off". This has worked for me in the past. There will be some residue with either one, but the residue is thin and will burn off quickly. On the older cars, such as my '56 the heat riser is separate from the exhaust manifold so it can be removed and soaked in solvent to free it up. The 413/440 have the riser built into the exhaust manifold so it can not be removed/repaired unless you remove the entire manifold. You are lucky that your's is functional and only missing the spring. They are usually hopelessly stuck or damaged by improper attempts to repair them. Once free and working correctly the valve should be lubricated every "old car season" at each service opportunity. If the car is being used regularly throughout the year it should be lubricated as often as stated in the maintenance schedule for the car.

                      I hope this helps.

                      Paul W.

                      What kind of lube do you use? Years ago Chrysler made an aerosol can with lubricant specifically for that purpose. I cannot find it anymore. What do you normally use now that does not leave a residue?
                      Thanks
                      Norm

                      --- In Imperial-Club@yahoogroups.com, Paul Wentink <randalpark@...> wrote:

                      > Watch it when you rev the engine. If it is free, it will move to the open position when the engine is rev'ed. If is isn't free enough to do this test, lube it up until it is nearly frictionless. The spring holds it closed when the car is cold and at low idle.
                      >
                      > Paul W.

                    • watchfatha
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 5, 2012
                        Thanks, Paul-it most certainly does. If my local Chrysler dealer does not have the part number that one of our other members supplied, I'm going to do as you suggest. Years ago I was able to free up a stuck valve on a 64 convert using that stuff, so I'm partial to it. Hopefully, it is the same composition. Interestingly, after carefully looking through the 64 FSM, I see they actually mentioned a part number for this stuff: Page 11-5, Mopar part # 1879318. We'll see if they still make it, or the newer one, Part # 4318039AB.