66 AM FM RADIO

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2011
      Fellow Imperialists

      I have been reasearching different options for radios and want to have a modern radio made using the exsisting face of a 66 Imperials AM/FM Radio.

      I want to keep my radio intact in case I decide to return the car to its original state later. I would also like to take advantage of today's technology but keep it looking like the original 66.

      I am looking for another radio for the 66. It does not need to work.

      Does anyone know where I can find one?

      Also has anyone had one of these modern radios with the old face installed on their cars and if so, who did you have produce this?

      Finally there is something going on with my current radio. Sometimes it works somethimes it does not. When it does not work, you need to hold the local and distance button in at the same time and then it will come on only as long as you hold the buttons in. When you release the buttons it goes off again. Does anyone have any clues on what is going on here?

      Thanks

      Michael Wernz
      66 Crown Convertible
      Spokane, WA
    • Steve B.
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2011
        I'm sure you can get a decent radio from many of the Imperial salvage guys.
        You can find them all under the parts heading on the website.
        http://imperialclub.com/Part/Yards/index.htm I would start with Bob
        Hoffmeister, Lowell Howe or the BigDog.

        There are a number of people that can put modern guts in your "new" old
        radio. http://imperialclub.com/Part/Accessories/radio.htm will have some of
        the ones we know about. Gary Tayman of Tayman Electrical
        http://taymanelectrical.com/ Is an acquaintance who is very active in the
        local old radio hobby and I would vouch for his work. Other members have
        also reported excellent service from different vendors. You could find all
        those recommendations in the group archives.

        Steve B.

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2011
          Michael wrote:
          "Finally there is something going on with my current radio. Sometimes it works somethimes it does not. When it does not work, you need to hold the local and distance button in at the same time and then it will come on only as long as you hold the buttons in. When you release the buttons it goes off again. Does anyone have any clues on what is going on here?"

          You may have put your hand right on the problem. It sounds like the switches up inside the radio need to be cleaned. If there is a relay involved, it may be possible to clean the contacts inside if the cover can be safely removed without breaking anything. Both situations would require removal from the car to accomplish.

          Joe