Re: 1965 Fuel Gage

  • Ray Geschke
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2011
      You have to contact Lowell by phone. It's on the club website. Also don't forget Imperial Heaven, also on the club website (you can email Bob Hoffmeister.)

      Ray
      NE Ohio
      1966 Imperial convert.

      --- In Imperial-Club@yahoogroups.com, eric bruggeman <ericinarden@...> wrote:

      > I give up!  I have repaired my fuel gage three times now... after having to be jump started the other day the gage finally fried through the nichrome wires... I tried to fix it again today with poor results!  It worked great after doing the modification on the mopar website, adding the new microchip, cutting out the old limiter, and then adding a capacitor.... anyhow, I quit!
      >
      > Does anyone know where I can find a used gage?  How do I contact Lowell Howell??  I am pretty sure that I have the only Imperial here in the entire state of Arkansas!  I have called junk yards from Missouri, Arkansas, to Texas, and even have a call out to French Lake Auto in Minnesota (I am distantly related to the owner) and rumor has it that he has several Imperials there.
      >
      > Interesting note!  I did see one other Imperial here in Fayetteville, it was a 1965, sequoia green, white leather interior!  I pulled into the lot wanting parts, they looked at my car, 65, formal white, black plum leather interior, and wanted my parts!  ha ha!  They said they bought if from a local eccentric, and had plans to sell it at Jackson Barret at some later time..... wonder how quick I can get a gage out of the dash in the dark.... ha ha ha!  Just kidding!
      >
      > Thanks for any help, I hate not knowing how much gas I have!
      >
      > Eric

    • Laurie Carter
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2011
        I feel for you, Eric. My fuel sending unit in my '65 doesn't work. I've run out of gas once. Here's what I do; with each fill up (and this only works when I fill the tank), I reset the trip odometer. My car gets almost 11 mpg, so I figure at 180 miles on the odometer, it's time to get gas. So far - knock on wood - it works!

        Laurie
        '65 Crown 4dr "The Big Girl"
        '65 Crown Coupe (hubbie's)
        '59 Crown 4dr (awaiting resto)

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2011
          Oh how I feel your pain, I have 3 "burnt" gages myself. Although those
          little wires can look fine to the naked eye, they can still be "bad". It's
          a cr*p shoot to buy a used one too because it could also be burnt out, or at
          least ready to fail at any moment.

          Bill
          '64 Imperial Crown
          '66 Imperial Crown
          '72 Cuda 340
          '72 Sebring

          _____

        • Bertil Olsson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2011
            Hi Eric and Lurie!

            My fuel sending unit doesn’t work either. I use the trip odometer, and when
            it says 250 miles (400 kms) it is time to fill the tank to the top. I can
            drive about 18 miles a gallon in my blue Imperial and 16, 17 mpg in my
            green.

            Best regards to you all from a sunny Sweden!

            Bertil Olsson,

            Krokvägen 15,

            29144 KRISTIANSTAD

            Sweden

            Tel. +4644127070

            Mobil +46708773813

            e-post <mailto:bertil.olsson@...> bertil.olsson@...

            hemsida <http://www.imperialsweden.com> www.imperialsweden.com

            Skypetelefon Imperial1965Crown

            _____

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2011
              Although I haven't been able to drive my current car a whole tank of gas worth yet to see what my mpg is, your numbers Bertil, are what I remember on my old Imperials of yore.

              I thought maybe Laurie is doing some city driving, and that would seem reasonable then.

              Ray
              NE Ohio
              1966 Imperial convert.