Wandering 68 -upper control arm

  • jdbabcock@usmc-vet.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2011
      Doug ( Bud Wiser ) I may have missed it but did you ever get to the bottom
      of your steering problem ? It just made me think of that as steering boxes
      were mentioned.
      John B 67 Conv

    • Bud Wiser
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2011
        No, I have not. But then I have not taken my car to my mechanic for this
        problem yet either. The advice received was excellent from the club members
        and it is just the time I need to do what has been advised.

        Personally, until the car is up on a lift to inspect the parts involved, I
        will remain in the dark. It is not a problem for me since I rarely ever
        drive the car anywhere. But that is all about to change this year and it
        will be happening pretty soon. One of my first projects is to buff out the
        paint. Now I could do that but I know of a professional that has done some
        rather spectacular work on cars I have seen in car shows around Southern
        California. He has now seen the condition of the paint and is concerned
        that there may be insufficient paint to do justice to the car with a buffer
        and his skills. Noted were edges, those were showing some primer coat, very
        little mind you, and it may be better to get it repainted. So the question
        comes to mind about how to repaint it because before too long I expect to
        either donate it to one of the Eisenhower museums or sell it to a highly
        taxed person that could truly benefit from the full tax credit the museums
        offer for the donation.

        So I am in the process of trying to determine the most plausible way of
        bringing its appraised value to the highest level without investing tons of
        cash myself. It is not an easy project to do. What I know about car
        restorations is they normally cost far more than the car obtains upon sale.
        This car differs from that. It is all in nearly perfect shape other than
        an engine compartment that needs serious cleaning and nominal refinishing.
        I am not sure of all the features are in working order. It has dual air
        but I have never tried to use it. Surely it is without freon. I did
        replace the driver's seat motor but so far it only goes forward and
        backward, no tilt but that could be because the mechanic that did the
        replacement (son) was having some marriage problems at the time and has
        since returned across the country to his home in NC.

        I would like to make a few trips with the car now. I recently replaced the
        tires of course but with narrow white walls and not the three narrow white
        walls that were on the car when I purchased it in 1988. I am missing the
        trim from the passenger side doors on the upper level. It was damaged when
        the shipping company delivered it from Indiana.

        Thanks for asking.

        Doug