Re: [Imperial-Club] Chrysler Imperial vs. Imperial- Flagship!

  • Anthony Romano
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
      What's the Imperial always marketed as the "Flagship on Chrysler"

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
        I saw it at Universal Studios in the late 1960's. I think that was when the studio was first opened up for tours. It was part of an exhibit to illustrate the large number of cars destroyed in making that movie. It and the exhibit have probably long since gone. I haven't been to the studio since then, so I really don't know. I do know that it was there for a while.

        Paul W.

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
          The stand-alone Imperial name never stuck with the public, and I would go so far as to include the people who sold the cars to the general public. I have owned Imperials since I was old enough to drive, and few people in my circle of friends or co-workers could get it straight, and always called my cars Chrysler Imperials. Funny, most folks don't call a Corvette a Chevy Corvette, now do they?

          Anyway, it really isn't an issue, especially since the parent company is practically out of business, and our relics enjoy the same curious looks from younger people who can't even remember seeing them on the road. Music to my ears is when someone asks, "What the heck kind of a car is that?". Sometimes I'm tempted to remove identifying emblems and names from the cars to further add to the confusion, maybe tape them over.

          Great example happened to me a few years back. My 1977 Chrysler Cordoba was just sitting there, and a small group of young people just had to know more about the car. They had no idea what it was, and even the name on the car meant nothing to them. All they knew is that it was a beautiful car in their eyes. Some called it a Monte Carlo, the other argued it was a Grand Prix, and the guessing just went on forever. Finally, on of the guys asked and wanted to know if it was for sale. I told him what the car was, and that it was not for sale. Not to be put off, he says everything is for sale, and how much would I take for it. I told him $20,000 to get rid of him. He looked at me and said, "If I had that much to spend, I would buy your car".

        • PawtguyRI@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
            I would have loved to see that exhibit. Did you take any photos?

          • randalpark@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
              I didn't take pictures until I was much older, but Universal Studios may have taken some. I think they sold out to Sony or someone, but if the studio is still there, they may have records.

              Paul W.

              I would have loved to see that exhibit. Did you take any photos?

            • Carl Blumenthal
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                A freind of mine just about goes nuts trying to tell people he has a Cuda, not a Barracuda.

[...]

              • Tom Scott
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                  there is a difference in some years...at least in the badging.
                  Ma Mopar has done some freaky things while naming cars. The 64 Barracuda was badged as a Valiant. The Dart went from big car in 61 to little car in 63. And of course the whole Imperial Crown, Crown Imperial thing.
                  Tom