'59 engine compartment questions

  • Michael Olson
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2009
      Yes, I did search the club's site first. :-)

      Part of my sprucing up of the engine bay found myself tackling two items.

      1) I'm trying to figure a somewhat easier way to remove the old glue from the
      bottom side of the hood so that I can install a new pad. I've tried Goo
      remover spray along with a brass brush and a size 0 steel wool and have some
      decent results, but obviously I'm doing some surface scuffing due to that
      type of action. The best but most tiresome result was using my finger nail.
      At that rate I'll be there until Christmas. I thought of Xylene?

      1a) When I reach the point of installing the new pad, what sort of
      glue/adhesive should one look for?

      3) The other item is the washer fluid pump. At some point there was a
      electric pump added. This is wired through one of the fuses and the wires
      extend out to the pump that's sheet metal screwed on the side wall next to
      the auto-pilot brackets. Now I didn't scan every page in my FSM, but
      checking the electrical sections and schematics sure didn't lead me anywhere.

      Is this vacuum pump item? When I took off the brake booster assembly to
      reinstall a newly rebuilt one, I happened to see a 3-tube nipple extending
      through the firewall. 2 of the nipples (top & bottom if I recall)have
      nothing on them. This got me to thinking that the washer fluid is dispersed
      via vacuum? Nuts?

      Thanks,
      Mike
    • Donn Reese
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2009
        I recently put new insulation on the underside of my hood. I did not
        bother removing the old glue as it seemed well adhered and not a
        continuous film across the hood so I knew I'd get good contact in enough
        areas.

        For new glue, I used a 3M "high heat" product from either Schuck's or
        NAPA. I put it on in May, working very well so far. I also tucked the
        new insulation between the hood bracing and hood itself, so it's being
        physically held in place as well as glued. This had the added benefit
        of quieting a few rattles up front.

        As for the washer pump, this is one of the better photos showing what
        appears to be an original/restored condition:
        http://www.imperialclub.org/Yr/1959/Ruffalo/01-reg.jpg

        The washer fluid bag is mounted on the right side of the car (left in
        photo). The following photo is from an A/C service article and happens
        to identify the windshield washer hose running across the top of the
        heater housing to the washer bag:
        http://www.imperialclub.org/Yr/1959/acmanual/Images/InsdeCvr.jpg

        I can't seem to find where it says if '59s have a vacuum or electric
        washer pump but I know the '60s came with vacuum - I suspect the 59s
        were the same. Check the heater housing under the dash. There should
        be a coordination switch mounted on the outside, about the middle area,
        that would also have been hooked up to the vacuum pump system. You can
        also check the wiring diagram for the coordination switch. If it is
        shown in the diagram then the car came with an electric pump originally.
        If it's not on the diagram then it was vacuum.

        I replaced my original vacuum washer pump with a new electric version
        and tied it into the original switch. It's been working great.

        Donn

        1960 Custom

        Yes, I did search the club's site first. :-)

        Part of my sprucing up of the engine bay found myself tackling two
        items.

        1) I'm trying to figure a somewhat easier way to remove the old glue
        from the
        bottom side of the hood so that I can install a new pad....

        1a) When I reach the point of installing the new pad, what sort of
        glue/adhesive should one look for?

        3) The other item is the washer fluid pump....Is this vacuum pump
        item?...

        Thanks,
        Mike

        This electronic communication (including all attachments) is intended only for the named addressee(s) and may contain confidential information. It has not passed through our standard review process. Design data and recommendations included herein are provided as a matter of convenience and should not be used for final design. RELY ONLY ON THE FINAL HARDCOPY MATERIALS BEARING THE CONSULTANT'S ORIGINAL SIGNATURE AND SEAL. If you are not the named addressee(s), any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the original communication from your system.
        This e-mail and all other electronic (including voice) communications from the sender's firm are not intended by the sender to constitute an electronic record, an electronic signature or any agreement to conduct a transaction by electronic means. Any such intention or agreement is hereby expressly disclaimed unless otherwise specifically indicated.
      • Steve B.
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2009
          #1 - If the old glue is that happy there just leave it. It should be on
          in "swirls" so that you can put new glue right to painted metal. Once the
          new one is glued in nobody is going to see any ugly old glue.

          #2 - Inside the car on the other side of the nipples you should find a foot
          operated pump. Pump the pedal and it sprays water on the windshield if all
          is hooked up right and the pump is still good (doubtful as the rubber has
          usually long since cracked)

          Steve B.

          Yes, I did search the club's site first. :-)

          Part of my sprucing up of the engine bay found myself tackling two items.

        • john sadowski
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2009
            If I recall correctly, the 59 has a foot operated washer pump.

            John