OnOldCarPerspectives - run away, man!: When?

  • ybshore@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2009
      Fellow Imperial Enthusiast's,

      John picks up on the inexact science in regards to opines on
      purchasing and 'restoration'.

      When I look at old MoPars -and in particular Imperial's- I over view
      many things that would possibly deter others from seeing the car in the
      way I see it. When I buy, many things contribute to the decision and rarity
      is at the top of the list and why I am not on the Chubby/Fud/GeeM/Oldie,
      etc., lists ... this '59 seems optioned, bodies with minimal rust fixed,
      and the vendor's here provide period correct items and voila: sweet '59...

      The way K rings up proposed mechanical monetary possibilities, I see
      those items as part of the freshening up process I undertake with every used
      car I purchase [of course NOT the motor/tranny aspect unless I purchased
      in already in need] in addition to all fluids and the major tune up.
      These motor's respond quite well to a little love as overspray has NEVER killed
      a Big Block...

      I have purchased 'mint' cars and paid handsomely for them with the
      appropriate inspections for the alleged privilege that little has to be done
      to them, only to find that they are machines, wanting to run, but at the
      same time born to fail an obsolescent death [without due care] and found them
      to be at times as cost ineffective as the 'lessor' purchases. The same way
      I have purchased neglected or jimmy-fixed cars and with little work into
      them found them to be most reliable. A friend of mine's philosophy has
      always been to 'push the car hard, if you baby it, all it'll ever do is cry
      for money". And though I do not necessarily respect the idea, the guy gets
      150K miles out of every car he buy's, no matter the make ... and yes he's
      handy with the wrenches.

      Certainly there are things to consider when involved in the Old Car
      Game for it is about BUCKS, for that is how we keep them on the road, let
      alone dreaming/saving for the showroom fixes in the future...regardless, don't
      play if you can't pay...

      Finally, I see three '59 coupes listed on site [only 1700+ made] , and
      THIS offering, IMHO, would be tough to 'rebirth'....

      _1959 Chopped-Top Imperial Coupe_

      Trolling as Always,

      In a message dated 6/30/2009 9:26:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      jsadowski@... writes:

      First of all, I hate it when someone sprays paint all over like that. It
      looks as if they are trying to hide something. Other then a few things
      missing, window switch, rear view mirror, the car looks complete & at least
      decent, but at the current bidding price, I think I would want to see it first.
      I don't know what's with all that LeBaron trim. It looks awful. Going to
      that much trouble they should have changed tail lights & added the emblems
      on the 1/4 trim. And what's with those parking lights? Looks like they were
      replaced with Dagmars. If its as solid as it appears in the photos, it
      would be a nice one to restore, especially being a 2 door. There's not that
      many 59's left, so you've got to start somewhere.

      From: _ybshore@..._ (mailto:ybshore@...) <_ybshore@..._
      (mailto:ybshore@...) >
      Subject: [Imperial-Club] 1959 Opines
      To: _Imperial-Club@Imperial-CluImp_ (mailto:Imperial-Club@yahoogroups.com)
      Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 1:18 PM

      Thought the same thing as the 'blue tinting' effect doesn't do much
      for me either. However, what you need to know and what I need to know are
      two different things; so I'll bite: what does it tell you, Master?

      In a message dated 6/30/2009 3:47:38 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      imperialist1960@ yahoo.com writes:

      The shot of the engine compartment told me what I need to know about the

      Kenyon Wills

      Recent Activity
      * 4
      _New Members_