40724RE: [Imperial-Club] Re: Alternative refrigerant response

  • Warren White
    Nov 9, 2013
      Marc

      Yes, the hydrocarbon refrigerant can be used with a dye. Yes, I have tried
      to find my leak using dye. Yes, the dye showed some leaks, which were
      repaired (mostly minor). No, the use of dye did not locate my elusive 2
      week leak. And the AC repair shops did the best they could, using whatever
      savvy they had, but in the end I was left with a 2 week duration leak. No
      refunds for best efforts.

      I have also tried using a gas leak detector with no useful results.

      Given the way the AC unit is installed in the trunk of my '56 sedan, it is
      possible that there is a leak that the dye might have shown if it were
      possible to see behind the evaporator coil. I can't do that.

      This year, I bought a complete trunk AC unit that looks to be in good
      condition. My plan is to leak test this unit out of the car. If it holds
      pressure for a goodly time, I'll swap it with my current unit. By I, I mean
      I will have a shop do this. I can't manhandle that unit by myself any more.
      Too old and puny.

      I have one more trick to try before going that route. I bought a
      refrigerant AC stop leak that you inject into the system. It's worth a try.
      See http://www.uview.com/index.cfm?pagepath=Products/LeakGuard%E2%84%A2_A/ .

      Warren

      '56 Sedan (with AC)