Re: Robert Morley as MA husband King Louis XVI

  • Sergio Daricello
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 13, 2013
      One truth is that Charles Laughton was hired to play the role of the king, but after He was substituted!:-)

      Sergio Daricello

      Il giorno 13/apr/2013, alle ore 00:41, "Marged" <marged36@...> ha scritto:

      Apologies for my error - should have checked, but I suppose there is a slight resemblance between the two men!

      He certainly bore a strong resemblance to the statue of Louis 16th which I have seen in the Chapelle Expiatoire, Paris.  I give here a link to this lovely little monument, the only one I have ever found in honour of Louis 16th & MA.

      There are many links to the Chapelle, with lots of pictures.  It's still open to the public at certain times, but only one Mass per week was held there on my last visit a few years ago.

      Marged

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 13, 2013
        thanx for posting this. i went to the chapel when i was in Paris but it wasn't open, (and surprisingly few people actually knew where it was even in the neighborhood. two drunken women from Texas pointed it out to me, can you believe it? LOL).

        never got to go in, disappointingly, but something odd happened outside. I was trying to take external pictures but a very, very old woman was seated on the bench in front of the door and wouldn't allow me to photo her in the picture's frame. she his behind her large purse. her hair was 18th century style circa 1780s and totally white. it was very creepy. never found out who she was. I'll leave it to your imaginations.

        and yes, Laughton and Morley could have been mistaken for each other when they were young.

        Jimmy O.

        Yes, it was Robert Morley who played Louis XVI in the 1938 MGM "Marie Antoinette", for which Mr. Morley received an Academy Award Nomination as Best Supporting Actor.  Morley had a significant role in the film and I thought he did a fine job playing the husband of Marie Antoinette and King of France.

        Axel

        --- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com, jimmy <keltwhip@...> wrote:

        > just a correction and not to be a know-it-all, but Louis was played by Robert Morley (not Charles Laughton, though he would have been a good choice) in 1938's Marie Antoinette. I had the good fortune to pass Robert Morley on Christopher Street in NYC back in the very early 70s. It was his first major role as I've been told.
        >
        > Jimmy O.
        >

        > ________________________________

      • axel
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 14, 2013
          Sergio,

          Coincidentally, surfing a couple of nights ago, I discovered on the internet your facebook site and the album there "My Works" with so many of your wonderful drawings and paintings of Queen Marie Antoinette.

          I wanted to ask your permission to create a Sergio Daricello photo album at our "Images of Marie Antoinette" group to include copies of your works with full credit to you.

          Best wishes,
          Axel

          --- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com, Sergio Daricello <sergio.daricello@...> wrote:

          > One truth is that Charles Laughton was hired to play the role of the king, but after He was substituted!:-)
          >
          > Sergio Daricello
          >
          > Il giorno 13/apr/2013, alle ore 00:41, "Marged" <marged36@...> ha scritto:
          >
          > > Apologies for my error - should have checked, but I suppose there is a slight resemblance between the two men!
          > >
          > > He certainly bore a strong resemblance to the statue of Louis 16th which I have seen in the Chapelle Expiatoire, Paris. I give here a link to this lovely little monument, the only one I have ever found in honour of Louis 16th & MA.
          > >
          > > There are many links to the Chapelle, with lots of pictures. It's still open to the public at certain times, but only one Mass per week was held there on my last visit a few years ago.
          > >
          > > Marged
          > >
          > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapelle_expiatoire

        • jimmy
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 14, 2013
            Sergio,

            I did NOT know that piece of information about Laughton being replaced. thanx for that update. he might have stolen the picture by his presence.

            Jimmy O.

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 14, 2013
              yes you can use all my drawings, but please always write my name!the queen is my passion since i was three years old, and i do one oil portrait of her evry year. add me on facebook, messaging me telling that you are part of the group

              Inviato da iPad

            • axel
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 14, 2013
                Sergio,

                Thank you so much!

                I have created a photo album in our group under "Photos" - the album is called "Sergio Daricello MA portraits". I have so far put three of the paintings inot the album of 15 that I intend to put there. I would like our group to have a chance to appreciate your wonderful portraits three at a time.

                I share your passion. Queen Marie Antoinette has been my passion since I was nine years old.

              • ax71489
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 31

                Michèle Morgan , as Queen Marie Antoinette posed on her throne in the manner of the 1788 Vigee LeBrun portrait - a poster for the 1956 French film, from ebay.fr