Marie Antoinette and Jewelery

  • axel
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2013
      "It is Marie Antoinette Week on one of my favourite blogs Cupid's Charm. Joy is having giveaways on her blog so don't forget to stop by. Joy also invited me to extend the party to my blog and so I am dedicating this week's posts to all things Marie Antoinette.

      "On Marie Antoinette's wedding day, she was presented with a richly embroidered crimson velvet coffer of jewels nearly as tall as she was and three times as wide. Inside, there was a magnificent selection of jewels reserved for the Dauphine of France. Presented with a tiny golden key by Louis XV, she unlocked it to discover an array of necklaces, earrings, bracelets, buttons, fans and snuffboxes made of diamonds and other precious gemstones. The collection included a spectacular necklace of priceless oversized pearls worn by Louis XIV's mother Anne of Austria. Along with the set of white diamonds she had from her trousseau, Marie Antoinette "shone the brightest" among a sea of courtiers "clad in brocades, silk, and other gorgeous robes and flashing with jewels".

      "Her appetite for jewelery was legendary and she later found herself involved in a messy scandal known as the Diamond Necklace Affair (a good subject for another day's post).

      "Being something of a jewelery junkie myself, I can totally relate to her passion for all things sparkly!!! I recently indulged myself in some Marie Antoinette inspired jewelery purchases.

      "Check out the whimsical Marie Antoinette charm bracelet made by Joy from Cupid's Charm (which I intend to wear while in Versailles in May). As well, I found these vintage costume pieces in an antique store. It was the end of the month and the dealer was motivated to move them out so I got them for a song!!! Lucky me!!! All I need is a fancy dress party and some champagne and I'm set. Who wants to join me?

      Posted by Ingrid Mida at 4:48 PM
      Wednesday, April 1, 2009

      These are the two illustrations shown in the post above and
      commented on by Ingrid Mida in this post.

      This piece is re-posted here at Images of Marie Antoinette with the kind permission of Ingrid Mida and is the 25th of a series of reposts about Marie Antoinette and her fashions for the enjoyment of our group.

      Your comments are most welcome.

      Axel