Marie Antoinette en Gaulle: Scandal of Queen seen in her underwear

  • axel
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2012
      Lovely rendition of Marie Antoinette, en Gaulle. Lovely face and hair and great texture too to her sleaves. dress and hat. Beautiful watercolor.

      Yes this was the Queen's dress, her light muslin Trianon attire, as intended by Her and Vigee LeBrun.

      But alas this painting on public exhibition caused such a scandal. People said the Queen allowed herself to be painted in her underwear.

      Such a wonderful painting of Marie Antoinette ...then and now - Too bad!

      Axel

      --- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com, "axel" <Rand103242@...> wrote:

      > I've just posted a recent drawing of Marie Antoinette, after the painting of Marie Antoinette "en Gaulle" in 1783 by Elisabeth Vigee LeBrun.
      >
      > It is posted to the photo album "Deviant Art". This drawing was by rum inspector, an artist from Finland, and it is posted with her kind permission.
      >
      > To see more work by this fine artist, you can visit her site at deviantart – http://rum-inspector.deviantart.com/
      >
      > This painting shows the Queen in her chemise costume of Petit Trianon.
      >
      > Thanks again to the artist for allowing me to re-post her work.
      >
      > Axel

    • axel
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2012
        "People said the Queen allowed herself to be painted in her underwear."

        Everyone was ready to make the smallest thing a scandal by that point. I don't know of this is something you have thought about, but I've spent many hours think on it. How from, well, let's say when LeBrun Painted MA in muslin that not even 30 years down the road came the short lived Regency period. I could only imagine what they would say of Marie Antoinette should she ever be seen in a proper Regency dress.

        Still, I find it fascinating how women's style goes from that of a tight corset to the much more comfortable empire waistline, then back to the corset.

        Even though around 1915/20ish the corset had entirely different use, you can still see where the trend kept going like that for a bit when you get to the 1940's. Back to small waist and a stiff top.
        Only 20 years later free flowing summer dresses.

        Ooops, sorry about that. I did not intend for such a long note. It's just a subject I love.

        Heterodoxy-Pix
        (at Deviant Art)

        --- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com, "axel" <Rand103242@...> wrote:

        > Lovely rendition of Marie Antoinette, en Gaulle. Lovely face and hair and great texture too to her sleaves. dress and hat. Beautiful watercolor.
        >
        > Yes this was the Queen's dress, her light muslin Trianon attire, as intended by Her and Vigee LeBrun.
        >
        > But alas this painting on public exhibition caused such a scandal. People said the Queen allowed herself to be painted in her underwear.
        >
        > Such a wonderful painting of Marie Antoinette ...then and now - Too bad!
        >
        > Axel
        >

        > --- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com, "axel" <Rand103242@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I've just posted a recent drawing of Marie Antoinette, after the painting of Marie Antoinette "en Gaulle" in 1783 by Elisabeth Vigee LeBrun.
        > >
        > > It is posted to the photo album "Deviant Art". This drawing was by rum inspector, an artist from Finland, and it is posted with her kind permission.
        > >
        > > To see more work by this fine artist, you can visit her site at deviantart – http://rum-inspector.deviantart.com/
        > >
        > > This painting shows the Queen in her chemise costume of Petit Trianon.
        > >
        > > Thanks again to the artist for allowing me to re-post her work.
        > >
        > > Axel

      • GeorgeC
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2012
          Here's a scandal. Thorstein Veblen, a wise economist, wrote about the corset, a garment that didn't let the wearer bend at the waist, turning her into a living doll with no ability. The corset, like the sumptuous robes of a Catholic Priest, flattered the institution while overburdening the wearer. Marie Antoinette was wise enough to understand that hypocrisy.

          Message 4 of 9 , May 19, 2012
            George is right. Marie Antoinette did not like the stiff corset of the times and her wearing the chemise dress with its more confortable under garments was part of her effort for more comfort in her dress.

            As stated earlier, "Marie Antoinette did not like wearing the grand corps, especially asthe corsets she was used to wearing in Austria were far more flexible. A few months after arriving in France, she rebelled against wearing the grand corps and since she was thin enough to wear her gowns without this tortuous undergarment, she went without. This rebellious act was considered a breach of etiquette of considerable proportions. The court took to whispering about Marie Antoinette's misshapen waist and right shoulder and this gossip was repeated far beyond the court eventually reaching her mother Marie Theresa, Empress of Austria and Queen of Hungary. It took diplomatic
            intervention by the Austrian ambassador to convince Marie Antoinette
            to resume wearing the grand corps on a regular basis.

            "Later in her life, Marie Antoinette took to wearing a thin white
            chemise dress with a ribbon sash. This airy, ruffled informal dress
            did not require a corset and was widely copied.

            This was part of the post "Marie Antoinette's Corset Rebellion"
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Images_of_Marie_Antoinette/message/9124

            See also Revisiting Marie Antoinette's Corset Rebellion
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Images_of_Marie_Antoinette/message/9588

            Axel
            --- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com, "GeorgeC" <geocaffine@...> wrote:

            > Here's a scandal. Thorstein Veblen, a wise economist, wrote about the corset, a garment that didn't let the wearer bend at the waist, turning her into a living doll with no ability. The corset, like the sumptuous robes of a Catholic Priest, flattered the institution while overburdening the wearer. Marie Antoinette was wise enough to understand that hypocrisy.
            >
            > --- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com, "axel" <Rand103242@> wrote:
            > >
            > > "People said the Queen allowed herself to be painted in her underwear."
            > >
            > > Everyone was ready to make the smallest thing a scandal by that point. I don't know of this is something you have thought about, but I've spent many hours think on it.

          • janet fauble
            Message 5 of 9 , May 22, 2012
              I wonder about the history of this corset.  For how long had it been a part of the undergarments that the women of the court had to wear?  I have to admire Antoinette for having the guts to abandon the use of the corset until her mother's stern advice made her submit...what a shame!

              George is right. Marie Antoinette did not like the stiff corset of the times and her wearing the chemise dress with its more confortable under garments was part of her effort for more comfort in her dress.

              As stated earlier, "Marie Antoinette did not like wearing the grand corps, especially asthe corsets she was used to wearing in Austria were far more flexible. A few months after arriving in France, she rebelled against wearing the grand corps and since she was thin enough to wear her gowns without this tortuous undergarment, she went without. This rebellious act was considered a breach of etiquette of considerable proportions. The court took to whispering about Marie Antoinette's misshapen waist and right shoulder and this gossip was repeated far beyond the court eventually reaching her mother Marie Theresa, Empress of Austria and Queen of Hungary. It took diplomatic
              intervention by the Austrian ambassador to convince Marie Antoinette
              to resume wearing the grand corps on a regular basis.

              "Later in her life, Marie Antoinette took to wearing a thin white
              chemise dress with a ribbon sash. This airy, ruffled informal dress
              did not require a corset and was widely copied.

              This was part of the post "Marie Antoinette's Corset Rebellion"
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Images_of_Marie_Antoinette/message/9124

              See also Revisiting Marie Antoinette's Corset Rebellion
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Images_of_Marie_Antoinette/message/9588

              Axel
              --- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com, "GeorgeC" <geocaffine@...> wrote:

              > Here's a scandal. Thorstein Veblen, a wise economist, wrote about the corset, a garment that didn't let the wearer bend at the waist, turning her into a living doll with no ability. The corset, like the sumptuous robes of a Catholic Priest, flattered the institution while overburdening the wearer. Marie Antoinette was wise enough to understand that hypocrisy.
              >
              > --- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com, "axel" <Rand103242@> wrote:
              > >
              > > "People said the Queen allowed herself to be painted in her underwear."
              > >
              > > Everyone was ready to make the smallest thing a scandal by that point. I don't know of this is something you have thought about, but I've spent many hours think on it.

            • George Caffine
              Message 6 of 9 , May 23, 2012
                Just a historical aside. The stiff corset was worn by the wives and daughters of the very rich, it proved that the "owner" was so rich that the women didn't have to (couldn't) do anything but look pretty. It's a very old tradition: from binding the feet of a rich man Chinese daughter, insuring she'd never walk, to the gorgeous tanning of a modern rich man's wife, proving she spent her days in the sun. No accident, the stiff corset, and the rebellion was not against the garment, but against the enslavement.

                Message 7 of 9 , May 23, 2012
                  Thanks, George, that is interesting considering that the practice of rich men marrying beautiful women (who become somewhat enslaved even yet) continues today.  I wonder if a chastity belt went along with this dreadful corset custom...(chuckling.)    Jan

> [...]

                  Axel
                  --- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com, "GeorgeC" <geocaffine@...> wrote:

                  > Here's a scandal. Thorstein Veblen, a wise economist, wrote about the corset, a garment that didn't let the wearer bend at the waist, turning her into a living doll with no ability. The corset, like the sumptuous robes of a Catholic Priest, flattered the institution while overburdening the wearer. Marie Antoinette was wise enough to understand that hypocrisy.
                  >
                  > --- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com, "axel" <Rand103242@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > "People said the Queen allowed herself to be painted in her underwear."
                  > >
                  > > Everyone was ready to make the smallest thing a scandal by that point. I don't know of this is something you have thought about, but I've spent many hours think on it.

                • ivan lyons
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 24, 2012
                    Hi janet,

                    were you think of introducing a chastity belt for key boards by any chance, to stop some people writing endless drivel about things they obviously know nothing about !!! once again another topic drifts off into the realms of pure fantasy, does nobody ever research the twaddle they write here, or do they just scribe the first thing that comes to mind.

                    To: Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com
                    From: janetcfauble@...
                    Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 23:41:48 -0700