Coppola Marie-Antoinette film - better on 2nd look

  • VictoriaB
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 5, 2012
      I have to admit, the first few times I saw the Coppola film, I couldn't stand it...they have the chance to do SO MUCH and they did so very little. However, I recently watched it again...and I was surprised by my feelings. It's still not one of the best MA movies made, but, for some reason, I think the feelings were there? The isolation and monotony were on point....and honestly, I think Jason Schwartzman did a great job of capturing Louis's personality. As far as accuracy or anything else though...rather disappointing.

      --- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com, jandufandu2@... wrote:

      > i also didnt care for sophias movie...it made me cringe...but i want to see ANY movie about MA..especially if it was filmed at Versailles... sigh

    • janet fauble
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 8, 2012
        I loved the photography, the sweetness of the scenes of the Queen with her young daughter in the countryside.  I thought that the youthful Marie Antoinette was quite sympathetic in her lonely role having to come into a foreign country to meet the young Dauphin.  I actually do like it but only because I saw it as a typical Hollywood depiction.  Nobody will ever truly capture the real Antoinette because simply put nobody today really knows her.  Reading biased and prejudiced stories about her tells us only about the author of the stories, not the Queen herself.  In truth if the letters that were written between her and her mother give any indication of her real self, then that is probably the closest we will ever get to knowing her from her point of view.

        Jan

        I have to admit, the first few times I saw the Coppola film, I couldn't stand it...they have the chance to do SO MUCH and they did so very little. However, I recently watched it again...and I was surprised by my feelings. It's still not one of the best MA movies made, but, for some reason, I think the feelings were there? The isolation and monotony were on point....and honestly, I think Jason Schwartzman did a great job of capturing Louis's personality. As far as accuracy or anything else though...rather disappointing.

        --- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com, jandufandu2@... wrote:

        > i also didnt care for sophias movie...it made me cringe...but i want to see ANY movie about MA..especially if it was filmed at Versailles... sigh

      • alecker23
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 9, 2012
          The film is superficial and the relation with Fersen is not well explain.