Marie Antoinette as virginal bride

  • axel
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14, 2012
      "Senior Thesis from 2010 at Mason Gross. It focused on Marie Antoinette and the different images people had of her from conflicting contemporary art. It did not translate well due to some lack of panning on my part, but I am still proud of the drawings as standing alone. This first one was supposed to portray her as the innocent, young and virginal bride who was exhibited, exploited and sexualized to the French Court upon her arrival.

      That is the quote from the artist under his ink drawing of Marie Antoinette by Dennis Budesheim from his blog "Mason Gross Survivor" by Dennis Budesheim.

      It was originally posted by Dennis to his blog in June 14, 2011 and is
      reposted here with his drawing with his kind permission. Here is a link to that original post
      http://dennisbudesheim.tumblr.com/post/6509685867/senior-thesis-from-2010-at-mason-gross-it-focused

      This is the 7th of a series of posts to this group from the Mason Gross Survivor blog. That original artwork by Dennis is a pen and ink drawing of Marie Antoinette young huddled and alone can also be found as "Dennis 8 – Marie Antoinette as virginal bride" in the album "Dennis MA drawings".

      Comments on the quote and/or drawing welcome.

      Axel
    • janet fauble
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 15, 2012
        Hello Axel,

        I frankly thought that the fearful, lonely figure that is supposed to be Antoinette is not fair to her.  He did not present her well in the face department, and the body was a bit long and not as youthful as I would think she would be at 14.  However, he does explain that it did not come off as he had wanted it so I guess I can forgive him some.  She does look like a frightened, gangly adolescent girl which may account for her seeming quite ugly in appearance in this drawing.